Best Shoes for Kids?? - PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel
PassPorter.com
Message Board Community
Home Florida - Walt Disney World Caribbean - Disney Cruise Line California - Disneyland Resort Anywhere and Everywhere! Travelers Store Community PassPorter's Club Help!
   Welcome!  |   Answers  |  Guidelines  |  Shorthands  |  Newsletters  |  Our Guides  |   Photos  | Login Problems  |  Help  |  Bookmark Us |  Follow Us on |
Search

Go Back   PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel > PassPorter's Walt Disney World Resort (Florida) > Touring the 'World': The Parks at Walt Disney World
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2010, 08:04 AM   #1 (permalink)
Community Rank: Trekker

Best Shoes for Kids??

So we are planning a weekend getaway to the world and after seeing Judi's post about the heat I wanted to get some better shoes for the kids...but I'm not sure what to get. Flip flops and crocs don't seem to be good for lots of walking, but tennis shoes just seem to hot to wear in the parks all day.

Anyone have some good shoe options for kids that they can walk in comfortably, and don't end up with sweaty feet???

My Countdown Counting down to: Birthday Trip
We're Going to Disney World!
tkm1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 08:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
Community Rank: Trailblazer

Well I have 2 suggestions...one is water shoes. Not the kind you buy at the local CVS or Walgreens. But actual shoes. They are like sneakers but mesh so they get air to your feet and dry quickly. They are available at Sears/Lands End and retail for $29.50, but they go on sale quite a bit usually for $14.99. They come in boys and girls. We prefer the Trekkers style, they seem a little more stable and strong. But that is just personal preference. They also have other brands, not sure where, but at least this shows you what I am speaking of. Here is a link (I hope this works), it is set to boys but you can go to girls if need be and they look the same, just different colors.
Shoes - Boys Shoes at Lands' End

Both my DD and I as well as my DMom all wear these at WDW. If you are interested in these they also sell them right at SEARS if you have one in your home town.

My 2nd suggestion is one my DD also likes and I do as well....Even though you mentioned it in your post.
Good ole Crocs!

These are the 2 pairs of shoes I bring for myself and my DD-6.

My Countdown Counting down to: Back to School
Bu-bye!
My Previous TripsWDW off property 9/1989- as a kid; WDW POP 3/2005-w/extended family; WDW MNSSHP POP 9/2009-w/family and mom; WDW MNSSHP POP 9/2010- w/ mom girls trip; WDW POP 9/2011-1st family trip alone; WDW MVMCP POP 11/2012- First meeting with Dana for FINI2;

Last edited by OneLittleSpark; 06-14-2010 at 08:27 AM..
OneLittleSpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 08:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
Community Rank: Adventurer

I buy my kids really good flip flops. I get Reef Slap. They can go all day in them. They are the most comfortable shoe I have ever had. Great arch support. They last a long time in their Crocs too.
buckinghammr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 08:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
Community Rank: Jetsetter

Concierge Level: 6
We usually stick with tennis shoes to absorb all of that walking on concrete. It seems like it's better for their feet to have the shoe attached to their heel when they're walking/stepping.
Disney Trips: Grand Villa at VGF 2013, Disney Fantasy 2013, BoardWalk Villas and Kidani Village 2011, BoardWalk Villas and Kidani Village 2010, BoardWalk Villas and Saratoga Springs Resort 2008,Beach Club Villas 2008,Villas at Wilderness Lodge 2006,BoardWalk Villas 2006,Beach Club Villas2005, Disney's HHI 2004,Polynesian 2003,Grand Floridian 2000/concierge, Honeymoon at Polynesian 1994,Polynesian 1980,Polynesian 1978
My PassPorter Bookshelf
Cinderbrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 08:57 AM   #5 (permalink)
Community Rank: Explorer

We stick with tennis shoes. Socks help with the sweaty feet issue.

My Previous Trips1974 w/mom and best friend -- 1976 w/parents -- 5/2002 ASMo DD's 1st visit -- 11/2002 ASMo w/hubby and the Princess (2 trips that year - what luck!) -- 2005 POP holiday trip -- 2006 ASMo w/ DH, DD, B and SIL for niece's graduation -- 2/2009 DLR -- 11/2009 ASMu -- 11/2010 POFQ & 12/2010 POP -- Non-Disney trips: too many to mention
Carousel96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:24 AM   #6 (permalink)
Community Rank: Sightseer

My kids also love the lands end sandals they have plenty of suppport nad are very comfortable
mommypkad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:15 AM   #7 (permalink)
RED SOX NATION!!
PassPorter's Club Passholder

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank:
Legend VIP

Concierge Level: 7
We stick with crocs and or flip flops. I find tennis shoes too hot in the summer!

Marnie - PassPorter Co-Guide THE FAMILY ROOM , DISNEY WORLD TRIP REPORTS and GLOBETROTTING TRIP REPORTS

The Disneyland, San Diego, and Vegas oh my! Trip Report

The Trip of a Lifetime - Alaska Land and Sea - Trip Report

Non-Creative Title Spring Break Adventures Trip Report

A Whirlwind Trip to Arizona/Utah and the National Parks - UPDATED 9/27!

My Countdown Counting down to: Grand Canyon, Arches, Canyonlands
Hiking around the National Parks
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsAPR '12 - POFQ, JUL '10 - DL, AUG '09 - DCL Western, AUG '08 - POFQ/BC, AUG '06 - AKL/BC/DisneyWonder/Poly, DEC '05 - AKL, APR '05 - AKL/BC, DEC '04 - AKL, MAY '04 - AKL/BC, MAY '03 - WL/BC, MAY '98 -offsite, MAY '94 - BC, AUG '85 - Poly, AUG '83 - Poly, AUG '81 - Poly, JUL '79 - World Inn, JUL '76 - World Inn
Colexis Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:31 AM   #8 (permalink)
Community Rank: Trekker

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckinghammr View Post
I buy my kids really good flip flops. I get Reef Slap. They can go all day in them. They are the most comfortable shoe I have ever had. Great arch support. They last a long time in their Crocs too.
We are a Reef family as well. They are the only flip flops we wear. I wear Slaps, DH wears Fannings, and I don't remember what kind DD has (they have a backstrap so we dont have to worry about them falling off.

I'm interested to see what other kinds of kids shoes are mentioned - DD will need tennis shoes or something before we go to switch out with her sandals.
Katara81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 12:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
Community Rank: Legend

We use our tennis shoes exclusively. The sweat from everyone's feet is absorbed by good cotton socks.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
When you wish upon a star

What's this?

Community Rank: Globetrotter

We plan on getting wet on our next trip, so I didn't want us to have soggy shoes and socks. Here in the desert, things dry practically before they get wet, but in FL humidity? Dry things get wet just by being outside! And we don't want to have to worry about changes of shoes/socks. So, we bought sturdy sandals that strap at the ankle and the toe (similar to Tevas). We've been taking walks in them here at home, to get our feet used to wearing them. This way, we have support for all the walking (flip flops would cause my feet to cramp at the arch), but we have the open air feeling of sandals and don't have to worry about getting wet.

We are bringing tennis shoes, too, just in case and for days where the walking will outweigh the chances of getting wet (for example, Epcot - where, if the kids run through the fountain or water area, we can have them take off their shoes so they stay dry, as opposed to a ride).

Disneyland - Dec 2011

Heather
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsDLR 1976, DLR 1981, DLR 1985, WDW 1988, DLR 1992, DLR 1993, WDW 1995 All-Star Music, WDW 1998 (Honeymoon) All-Star Sports, DLR 2000-2010 annually, WDW 2007 Animal Kingdom Lodge, DCL Wonder 2007, WDW 2009 Pop Century, DCL Magic 2009, WDW 2010 Port Orleans French Quarter
HeatherD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 12:49 PM   #11 (permalink)

Keen sandals are good. The are a cross between shoes and sandals and they work well. And when my DS was very young, he would only wear Birkenstock sandals because of the arch support, but those are a little pricey. I think Sketchers also has a nice solid sandal that may work.

I think I'd take the little ones shopping and see what works best for them.

Rico: He's not a mutt, he's a "Designer Breed."
My Previous TripsWDW Nov 1987, offsite WDW-April 2007, AS-Movies WDW-Dec. 2007, Contemporary WDW-Jan. 2009, Caribbean Beach WDW-April 2009, AS-Music Family Suites WDW-Dec. 2009, Port Orleans French Quarter WDW-May 2010, Boardwalk Inn WDW-Nov. 2010, Animal Kingdom Lodge WDW-Jan. 2011, Port Orleans Riverside/Polynesian WDW-Oct. 2011, Pop Century WDW - Jan. 2012, Wilderness Lodge WDW - Jan. 2013, Art of Animation and Yacht Club WDW - Oct. 2013, Coronado Springs WDW- Jan. 2014, All Star Sports
JoanneS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 12:57 PM   #12 (permalink)
Community Rank: Legend

I forgot - I think the most important thing is that everyone is wearing good, supportive, broken in shoes/sandals, whatever. I've seen people Hobbling Around the World because they bought new shoes and didn't break them in before heading to WDW.
Old 06-14-2010, 01:11 PM   #13 (permalink)
Community Rank: Day-Tripper

Get some good old fashion sneakers. I used to wear keds when I went and never had a problem.
bigd33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 01:12 PM   #14 (permalink)
Community Rank: Explorer

We always we tennis shoes. I always buy a good brand like Nike or Addidas. That has always seemed like the best and we haven't had a blister yet.
MichaelF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 01:41 PM   #15 (permalink)
When you wish upon a star

What's this?

Community Rank: Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
I forgot - I think the most important thing is that everyone is wearing good, supportive, broken in shoes/sandals, whatever. I've seen people Hobbling Around the World because they bought new shoes and didn't break them in before heading to WDW.
That's exactly why we're taking our walks! Also, if they are shoes you haven't worn in a while, break them back in...I've done that with sandals I've worn to DLR and WDW before, but off-season, I wore them and really hurt my arch because my feet had adjusted to other shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd33 View Post
Get some good old fashion sneakers. I used to wear keds when I went and never had a problem.
I tried Ked-type sneakers once and hobbled around after a while because there wasn't enough arch-support for my foot, my arch completely cramped up on me. Ultimately, find a shoe that is comfy with the right amount of support for your foot. The "make or break" portion will be if you break them in or not. I use the mall as my measure. I have sandals that are extremely comfortable for wearing around the house and out for errands. However, if I wear them to the mall, where I'm walking more, and I feel the arch start to ache, then I know that I can't wear them to the park.

Disneyland - Dec 2011

Heather
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsDLR 1976, DLR 1981, DLR 1985, WDW 1988, DLR 1992, DLR 1993, WDW 1995 All-Star Music, WDW 1998 (Honeymoon) All-Star Sports, DLR 2000-2010 annually, WDW 2007 Animal Kingdom Lodge, DCL Wonder 2007, WDW 2009 Pop Century, DCL Magic 2009, WDW 2010 Port Orleans French Quarter
HeatherD is offline   Reply With Quote