Epcot Japan - Bento Box Supplies - PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel
PassPorter.com
Message Board Community
Home Florida - Walt Disney World Caribbean - Disney Cruise Line California - Disneyland Resort Anywhere and Everywhere! Travelers Store Community PassPorter's Club Help!
   Welcome!  |   Answers  |  Guidelines  |  Shorthands  |  Newsletters  |  Our Guides  |   Photos  | Login Problems  |  Help  |  Bookmark Us |  Follow Us on |
Search

Go Back   PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel > PassPorter's Walt Disney World Resort (Florida) > Touring the 'World': The Parks at Walt Disney World
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2010, 11:26 AM   #1 (permalink)

Concierge Level: 6
Epcot Japan - Bento Box Supplies

Does anyone know if they carry Bento Box supplies in the shops.

I recently have taken up making my DD and my lunches in the style of the Bento box.
Chays52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:32 AM   #2 (permalink)

Yes, we have seen bentos there; they even have stuff for kids with Hello, Kitty, robots, etc. My husband always picks up chopsticks on each visit, and we have noticed special sets for kids in their own carry boxes. Our problem is that there are so many choices and wonderful things to buy!

Nik & his favorite guy Goofy at DHS Osborne Lights
Sandra in Northern VA
My Countdown Counting down to: Our next stay at All Star Music with free dining!
109 days, 7 hours, 17 minutes
My Previous TripsOff-site 1973, 1975, 1984, 1985, 1988. All Star Music 2001-2012; Swan 2011. All Star Movies 2013.
yalibrarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
Eileeeeeeen!™
PassPorter's Club Passholder

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank: Legend

I'm an avid bento-ist, and have checked Mitsukoshi regularly. They do have lots of the candies in the back room, but few bento boxes except for Hello Kitty Stuff. It might just be bad luck on our part, but they don't have lots for boys or non-kawaii adults, plus it's rather expensive.

Eileen
PassPorter guide for Feasting and Snacking: The Eateries and Planning Your Adventure: Your Plans
My Previous TripsSometime in the 70's with mom; 1990 honeymoon; 1994 trip with brother; 2002 Dec - POFQ; 2003 May - ASMovies; 2003 Oct - ASMovies; 2004 May - Pop; 2004 Sept - AKL; 2004 Nov - PORiverside; 2005 May - Grand Gathering #1; 2005 Dec - Mousefest w/Karen; 2006 March - DLR w/Karen; 2006 June - Beach Club w/Karen; 2006 Dec - Grand Gathering #2; 2007 Feb DLR Girls Trip; 2007 Dec - Appetizer trip/Mousfest w/CLT; 2008 Jun - CLT+2 meet the Koenigs; 2008 Dec - CLQ Broken Ankle Tribute; 2009 Mar - Unclenching at POFQ!; 2009 June - Sweating with Friends; 2009 Dec - Sousefest09; 2011 Dec - 3 to a bed; 2012 Jul - Even Eileen! (DLR)
Caldercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 12:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

It's true that the selections can be small or change from time to time. My husband looked at a bento two years ago, but decided it was too much. And they do seem to have more for kids along those lines. Last time we hit the jackpot on sale items, mostly fabric, but only bought a couple of pairs of chopsticks from the food section this last trip. We live in an area with lots of Asian markets, so we can choose from 20 different rice cookers and a variety of lunch kits, no problem. I also noticed that Wegman's had some bento-like kits in their natural living area, if there is one near where you live.

Nik & his favorite guy Goofy at DHS Osborne Lights
Sandra in Northern VA
My Countdown Counting down to: Our next stay at All Star Music with free dining!
109 days, 7 hours, 17 minutes
My Previous TripsOff-site 1973, 1975, 1984, 1985, 1988. All Star Music 2001-2012; Swan 2011. All Star Movies 2013.
yalibrarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 03:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

I do have a few local choices (Mitsuwa is 30 plus min away) but they have pretty slim pickings. I haven’t had a free moment to venture to some of the smaller stories in the City (I am far burbs of Chicago), but suspect that I could find some other sources locally.
We don’t spend a lot in general on items from the parks but I was thinking that it might be fun to have something that both served as a memory of our trip as well as fit into another passion.
Thanks for your insights.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Community Rank: Adventurer

Okay, I'll bite...what's a bento box?

ilovewaltdisneyworld.blogspot.com for my Disney love
www.revamped.etsy.com for my crafts
www.evelynrosevintage.etsy.com for my vintage finds
Geri Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 04:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

Concierge Level: 7
I didn't have any luck finding bento supplies in Epcot. I found most of my supplies on line.

Rico: He's not a mutt, he's a "Designer Breed."
My Previous TripsWDW Nov 1987, offsite WDW-April 2007, AS-Movies WDW-Dec. 2007, Contemporary WDW-Jan. 2009, Caribbean Beach WDW-April 2009, AS-Music Family Suites WDW-Dec. 2009, Port Orleans French Quarter WDW-May 2010, Boardwalk Inn WDW-Nov. 2010, Animal Kingdom Lodge WDW-Jan. 2011, Port Orleans Riverside/Polynesian WDW-Oct. 2011, Pop Century WDW - Jan. 2012, Wilderness Lodge WDW - Jan. 2013, Art of Animation and Yacht Club WDW - Oct. 2013, Coronado Springs WDW- Jan. 2014, All Star Sports
JoanneS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

What's this?

Community Rank: Globetrotter

We've never seen any good bento boxes for adults at Mitsukoshi, only those for kids.

We found ours at an Asian market, but when we went back there on a later trip, they had none at all. You never know when a place will have nice ones, we've discovered.

Whole Foods now carries a line of Americanized bento boxes that fit into a lunchbox. They're not bad. I'd consider them if I couldn't find anything else.

The ones we have are the green and white ones at the bottom of this page:
Serving - Bento Boxes=

They work beautifully and came with a divider so that you can put two different foods into the box. The lid has a seal gasket that really holds well although you don't want to tip the box much if you have any very gooey food in it.

When I worked, I used to enclose my bento box in a bandanna double-knotted to secure it with my chopstick case tucked through the bandanna's openings. Worked great for carrying my bento.

We also have a family bento set which has two divided oval trays and one undivided one that stack and fit into a rack which has a built in lid and handle. We used to take it to our favorite Japanese restaurant so that we didn't get a bunch of disposable plastic with takeout. Our restaurant mamasan (the owner) loved how frugal we were. She'd say, "Oh, it's the very-Japanese bento boxes again."

That said, Mitsukoshi does have a wonderful selection of various sized and shaped dishes. We've gotten some really clever little plates and sauce dishes. One of my favorites from there is a striped cat plate that looks like a cat sprawled belly up. It has the cutest face and a paw at each corner of the sort-of rectangular plate.
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsWDW Nov. 2013--GF; WDW January 2010--GF; WDW July 2004--CR Tower/ DH to WDW several times in the 1970's & 1984, Me DL 1969.

Last edited by Her Dotness; 07-14-2010 at 06:51 PM..
Her Dotness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:47 PM   #9 (permalink)

What's this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldercup View Post
I'm an avid bento-ist, and have checked Mitsukoshi regularly. They do have lots of the candies in the back room, but few bento boxes except for Hello Kitty Stuff.
Ooooo...are you as addicted to those fruit-flavored Japanese gel candies as I am?

I love the pineapple, mango, honeydew melon and lichee ones! Three different flavors I don't often find in Asian markets where we live followed me home from WDW in January.

Yummy! Mega-yummy!
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsWDW Nov. 2013--GF; WDW January 2010--GF; WDW July 2004--CR Tower/ DH to WDW several times in the 1970's & 1984, Me DL 1969.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
Eileeeeeeen!™

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

lunchinabox.net has a bento finder that will help locate places that sell/have sold bento supplies in a given geographic area. You might want to check it out.

Bento Store Locator (BSL) | Lunch in a Box: Building a Better Bento

Eileen
PassPorter guide for Feasting and Snacking: The Eateries and Planning Your Adventure: Your Plans
My Previous TripsSometime in the 70's with mom; 1990 honeymoon; 1994 trip with brother; 2002 Dec - POFQ; 2003 May - ASMovies; 2003 Oct - ASMovies; 2004 May - Pop; 2004 Sept - AKL; 2004 Nov - PORiverside; 2005 May - Grand Gathering #1; 2005 Dec - Mousefest w/Karen; 2006 March - DLR w/Karen; 2006 June - Beach Club w/Karen; 2006 Dec - Grand Gathering #2; 2007 Feb DLR Girls Trip; 2007 Dec - Appetizer trip/Mousfest w/CLT; 2008 Jun - CLT+2 meet the Koenigs; 2008 Dec - CLQ Broken Ankle Tribute; 2009 Mar - Unclenching at POFQ!; 2009 June - Sweating with Friends; 2009 Dec - Sousefest09; 2011 Dec - 3 to a bed; 2012 Jul - Even Eileen! (DLR)
Old 07-14-2010, 07:31 PM   #11 (permalink)
Community Rank: Trekker

Great info! I didn't have much time to shop last Dec., but I did find DD one Hello Kitty box at Mitsukoshi, and I will need more since she will be taking lunch to preschool this year. I am very pro-kawaii , so I'd like to be able to stock up on cutsy boxes while there (I HATE how long it takes for J-List to ship). Hopefully they will have a few in stock...

Last edited by Katara81; 07-14-2010 at 07:36 PM..
Katara81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:52 PM   #12 (permalink)

What's this?

Wouldn't count on it, unfortunately.

We looked specifically for bento boxes of any sort on our '04 trip and January this year one as well as asking some relatives who went in '06 and '09 to see if there were any. But for the Hello Kitty one, zero zip zilch.

Maybe if more non-Asians start asking for bento boxes, Asian/Japanese stores will carry them on a regular basis.

When I do find any, they seem to be the large lacquered trays or stacking lacquered bento boxes that are lovely (and bunches of bucks!) but won't hold up to all the bashing about that we tend to give our bento-to-go boxes.

Come to think of it, I believe Whole Foods had a set of those round, stacking stainless steel bento boxes last time I was there as well as the Americanized set I mentioned earlier. Those are at least authentic, but we wouldn't find them very useful. We prefer just one rectangular one supplemented as needed by small Pyrex glass bowls with plastic lid.
My PassPorter Bookshelf
Old 07-15-2010, 08:40 AM   #13 (permalink)
Eileeeeeeen!™

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Whole Foods and also, surprisingly, Target have had tiffin boxes (the stacking stainless steel ones.)

I've taken to Lock & Lock boxes lately, but they aren't "cute."

I miss cute.

Eileen
Old 07-15-2010, 08:48 AM   #14 (permalink)

Concierge Level: 7
We looked last week while we were there. Nope, they didn't have any that I could find, and I looked for quite a while.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:35 PM   #15 (permalink)

I will be in Epcot only for a business trip in a few months and then back for a family vacation - I'll still take a look but I wont have my heart set on it.

On a side note, I did find some cute "snack" bentos (more americanized) at the local Borders Books. They had 4 or 5 different kinds - small lock top ones with small compartments/trays and others that are just 4 boxes that nest in eachother when not in use.