Cell phone charging in the parks? - PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel
PassPorter.com
Message Board Community
Home Florida - Walt Disney World Caribbean - Disney Cruise Line California - Disneyland Resort Anywhere and Everywhere! Travelers Store Community PassPorter's Club Help!
   Welcome!  |   Answers  |  Guidelines  |  Shorthands  |  Newsletters  |  Our Guides  |   Photos  | Login Problems  |  Help  |  Bookmark Us |  Follow Us on |
Search

Go Back   PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel > PassPorter's Walt Disney World Resort (Florida) > Touring the 'World': The Parks at Walt Disney World
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2011, 07:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Concierge Level: 7
Cell phone charging in the parks?

Howdy,
Having my iPhone last year helped me enjoy the times in the park greatly. The wait times, the maps, the contact with others was great, but my battery wouldn't last nearly a whole day. I brought one of those battery power boosters for the phone, but they are clumsy.
Does anyone have any experience on finding places to charge a phone? During a meal, etc? I never thought about it last time, but are there electric outlets that the public can use?
Thanks in advance.
My Previous TripsWDW, POFQ last visit in 2011 - Candy Cane Inn at DLR in 2012. PopCentury and WL in 2013.
Arnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Community Rank: Sightseer

Hi there. I actually do have a lil experience in this. I hope they still do this.Last year i think the battery on my cellphone or camera died. I cant remember exactly how i found out about this but go to guest services/relations. If you have your charger(s) with you. They can charge the phone for you. They give you a receipt for it as well. They were very nice about it.
tink305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

That would be great. Thanks, tink305
My Previous TripsWDW, POFQ last visit in 2011 - Candy Cane Inn at DLR in 2012. PopCentury and WL in 2013.
Arnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

You're very welcome. This happened to me when i was at MK. Im not sure exactly where you would go in the other parks though. Im sure they have a place. Just make sure to bring your charger though or they can't help you.
tink305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Community Rank: Trekker

I was actually going to post this very same question! I had the very same issue on my last trip, and while I didn't have my charger with me, I did look for outlets for future reference--as I discovered the problem on day one of my trip, and was trying to decide if bringing my charger to the parks would be worth it. I found one available outlet all day, and that was at the Poly in the lounge--in an awkward place, too. Typically one can at least find an outlet under water fountains--which is what I do in airports--but in WDW, they all seem to be invisible. I'm still not sure what I'm going to do for my upcoming trip.

My Countdown Counting down to: Husband's First WDW Trip/Mom's 60th Birthday Extravaganza!
40 days, 4 hours, 8 minutes
My Previous TripsCape Cod and Alaskan Cruise, Summer 2006 (a two-coast honeymoon); Las Vegas, Summer 2009 and 2010; London, Paris, and Amsterdam, Summer 2010; Walt Disney World, November 2010 (for NCTE Convention) Beach Club; WDW, March 2011 CSR; WDW at AKL and Universal at Portofino, May 2011, Epic Road Trip: Maine Coast and Atlantic Canada, July/August 2011; Extended Disney Research Trip, September 2011, Windsor Hills Condo; Uber-last-minute Bermuda Cruise, NCL Gem, October 2011, Colonial Williamsburg and Bush Gardens, November 2011, New Orleans and Western Caribbean Cruise, January 2012
elbodans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

There's definitely somewhere that does this as long as you have your charger...I think it's at guest relations? You can come back and pick it up later in the day.
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsASP 2004--ASM 2008-- CSR 2010--2011 POP--POFQ 2012
xrosario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
PassPorter's Club Passholder

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank: Explorer

Concierge Level: 6
I know that I've charged my phone in the resort food courts, but I've never done it at a park. I would look along the walls in a CS restaurant for the most likely places to find outlets!

ilovedisney247 - Heather PassPorter Guide for The Backyard
Guide for Making More Magic
Guide for Sharing the Magic
My Countdown Counting down to: Leap 2012
24 Hours!
My Previous TripsWDW 1985 off property, WDW 1987 Contemporary, WDW 1989 Poly, WDW Sept. 2006 Pop, WDW Sept. 2007 CBR WDW Aug 2008 ASMu Dec 2008 SSR, May 2009 SSR, June 2009 SSR/VWL, Oct 2009 AKVC, Dec 2009 AKV, June 2010 SSR, Oct 2010 BWV, Nov 2010 CR, Dec 2010 ASp, April 2011 AKVC, June 2011 SSR/ASM, July 2011, ASp, Oct 2011 AKVC, Dec 2011 VGC
ilovedisney247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 12:51 AM   #8 (permalink)
PassPorter Message Board Manager

Community Rank:
Legend VIP

Concierge Level: 3
This is good to know!

Ready for breakfast in Lumiere's on our magical Mediterranean vacation. A trip report for my day out at Leeds Castle is now underway.

I'm Cheryl and I'm the author of PassPorter's Walt Disney World for British Holidaymakers and the co-author of PassPorter's Disney Vacation Club Guide I'm also one of the PassPorter guides for the Disney Vacation Club, Eateries, Globetrotting, Globetrotting Trip Reports, Disneyland Resort Paris and Disneyland Trip Reports forums.

My Countdown Counting down to: A day out at Hatfield House
3 days, 15 hours, 38 minutes
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsDisney: 17 trips to WDW, 5 to Disneyland in California, 7 to Disneyland Paris, 1 to Hong Kong Disneyland, 1 to Tokyo Disney, 1 to Aulani, 1 to Hilton Head, 2 to Vero Beach and 6 Disney cruises on the Magic, Wonder, Dream and Fantasy to the Caribbean (three times), Alaska (once) and the Mediterranean (twice). Non-Disney (because otherwise I can't keep track...): American cities (Boston, Chicago, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, New York, Philadelphia, San Diego, San Francisco, Washington DC), American National Parks (Arches, Bryce Canyon, Canyonlands, Death Valley, Everglades, Grand Canyon, Grand Tetons, Virgin Islands, Yellowstone, Yosemite, Zion), Hawaii (Oahu, Kauai, Maui and Big Island) and Europe (England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Ireland, France, Spain (including Tenerife, Lanzarote and Mallorca), Germany, Belgium, Switzerland, Austria, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Monaco, Finland, Norway and Sweden)
chezp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 05:01 AM   #9 (permalink)
PassPorter Guide

Community Rank: Scout

Besides recharging, there are also things you can do to stretch the battery of your iPhone so it will last all day.

* Turn off wi-fi
* Turn off 'push' notifications
* Reduce screen brightness
* Turn on Auto-Lock with a 1 minute or less duration
* When making or taking calls, use your bluetooth headset

I've had an iPhone 3GS for a little over a year, and had it with me on my last two WDW trips. I haven't had any trouble with the battery lasting all day on either trip.

One of the biggest battery drains in an iPhone, however, is listening to music. Any earbuds or phones you pug into the phone drain the battery fast. I don't listen to music in the parks, and I do all of the other things I listed, and I have no problem making my battery last all day.

YMMV.
WillCAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:11 AM   #10 (permalink)

I saw a family recharging their video camera in an outlet just outside the seating area adjacent to Aloha Isle. It was behind a potted tree, but they just plugged right in. I don’t have any experience with it myself, but it’s worth a look while you’re enjoying a dole whip.

Feb 2012 PTR (UPDATED): 3 Resorts, 2 Friends, 1 Great Trip
Dec 2011 TR (COMPLETED 12/30): Mousetacular Holiday

Completed Trip Reports:
City on the Bay (Nov. 2011), First Anniversary (Oct. 2011), Dream Disneymoon (Dec. 2010)

My Countdown Counting down to: Mousetacular Holiday Celebration
Disney, here we come!
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsJuly 1988 - Family Trip - Offsite // August 2001 - Family Trip - Offsite // December 2010 - Disneymoon - Contemporary Resort // September 2011 - Girl's Only Research Trip - Offsite // October 2011 - First Anniversary - Boardwalk Villas // December 2011 - Mousetacular Holiday - Boardwalk Villas // February 2012 - Girl's Only Trip - Pop Century Resort
MelissaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:12 AM   #11 (permalink)
Community Rank: Jetsetter

They make these little portable chargers. They are about the size of a deck of cards....smaller and less bulky than a charger by far. You plug it into your phone and it charges it very fast. You just recharge the box in a wall outlet at night when needed or some use standard batteries. VERY handy for park days! Below is a link to an example.

Another thought is extra batteries are cheap on ebay. Keep a fully charged one with you all the time!

Amazon.com: Turbo Charge TB550 Reusable Portable Cell Phone Charger for AT&T Tilt 8925 Cingular 8525 8125 2125 Alltel HTC Touch Sprint Touch Diamond HTC Touch Pro HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Touch HD Sprint HTC Snap HTC Snap S511 HTC Snap S522: Cell Phones &

Last edited by smilechaser; 03-31-2011 at 06:16 AM..
smilechaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:07 AM   #12 (permalink)
Community Rank: Adventurer

Yep, as was previously stated, there are ways to definitely stretch your iPhone batterry to help eke out a full day of use.

Number one drain is the screen...the more you have it on, and the brighter you have it set, the faster you will burn thru battery life. You have over 24 hours of listening time if you are just listening to music, but watching a movie or anything else with screen on...drops that to 7-8 hours. So try to limit when the screen is on, and also watch the screen brightness.

Also, as was mentioned, turn wi-fi off...you won't find it in the parks, so why bother wasting the battery and have the phone looking for a signal it won't find. Also, although Bluetooth was mentioned, unless you have to use that, turn that radio off as well. Same deal there...why have it search for a connection you won't be needing it to make.

Also look at what sort of apps you are using. Things that are heavy on processor usage (like high intensity games, videos and those sort of things) will kill your battery really fast, since the phone really has to work to keep up. Also, make sure that you are closing apps that you aren't using, and that they aren't left on with the new multitasking features in iOS 4. Things on in the background can affect phone performance as well as battery life.

Also a great tip to turn off push notifications for any apps that you have that do so, as well as to set your e-mail to "fetch" rather than "push" while you are there. You'll still get your e-mail, but instead of the phone looking for e-mails constantly, it will only look for them when you actually tap the e-mail icon...thus saving another vampire power drain on your iPhone.

Good luck managing your power...heading to WDW with our iPhones this September and have already downloaded a few apps to use while there, so good luck!

Tim
Tim Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:41 AM   #13 (permalink)
PassPorter Guide

Community Rank: Trailblazer

Great info! thanks for sharing! I recently purchased an I-phone and was wondering the same thing...........would really like to be able to utilize the disney apps I purchased, but don't want to drain the battery!

Lisa Co-Guide to Sharing the Adventure Disney World Trip Reports

PTR: Thingamabobs, Zebras, & Giraffes, Oh My!
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsPOP September 2013; POP August 2013; AKL & BLT June/July 2013; POR December 2012; SSR October 2012; SSR July 2011; BWV May 2011; SSR July/Aug 2010; WL & SSR July 2009; SSR July 2008; OKW August 2007; OKW May 2007; SSR October 2006; SSR June 2006; OKW December 2005; CS September 2005; OKW July 2005; SSR October 2004; POP June 2004; ASMV April 2004; BWV October 2003
lfredsbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 12:59 PM   #14 (permalink)

Also, as was mentioned, turn wi-fi off...you won't find it in the parks, so why bother wasting the battery and have the phone looking for a signal it won't find. Also, although Bluetooth was mentioned, unless you have to use that, turn that radio off as well. Same deal there...why have it search for a connection you won't be needing it to make.

OK, I'm a Tech newbie. So if I understand this correctly, an iPod touch would be useless in the parks as it could not find a signal?
KSMeyerhoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:43 PM   #15 (permalink)
PassPorter Guide

Community Rank: Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSMeyerhoff View Post
OK, I'm a Tech newbie. So if I understand this correctly, an iPod touch would be useless in the parks as it could not find a signal?
Not totally useless. Any app that doesn't need connectivity, such as the Calculator, Calendar, Contacts, Notes, and Clock would still work. Any music or movies or ebooks that you loaded onto the iPod with iTunes would still be available.

However, you would not be able to surf the web, check email, look at maps, or use any of the WDW ride times apps (they check the wait times over the internet, so those apps need connectivity for that function). Pandora won't work, YouTube won't work, Stocks and Weather won't work - all of those apps get their info over the web.

If you have an app that actually downloads maps or other documents to your phone, you can download ahead of time, and they would still be usable in places where you have no connectivity.

To find out which of your iPod apps will function without a connection, just turn off wi-fi and try them.
WillCAD is offline   Reply With Quote