Cell phone charging stations? - PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel
PassPorter.com
Message Board Community
Home Florida - Walt Disney World Caribbean - Disney Cruise Line California - Disneyland Resort Anywhere and Everywhere! Travelers Store Community PassPorter's Club Help!
   Welcome!  |   Answers  |  Guidelines  |  Shorthands  |  Newsletters  |  Our Guides  |   Photos  | Login Problems  |  Help  |  Bookmark Us |  Follow Us on |
Search

Go Back   PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel > PassPorter's Walt Disney World Resort (Florida) > Touring the 'World': The Parks at Walt Disney World
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2012, 12:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Community Rank: Passenger

Cell phone charging stations?

Would anyone happen to know if there are any cell phone charging stations set up in the parks? I know I'll be using my phone for everything...line wait times, itinerary, etc. so it's bound to get run down. Will they let you plug in at restaurants or other outlets?

Can't wait for our November trip! Hope to be selected for FastPass+, but not holding my breath.
goofygirl74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
PassPorter's Club Passholder

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank:
Legend Extraordinaire

Concierge Level: 6
Are you staying on site? I'd suggest going back to your room midday for a rest and recharge of the phone.

There are no designated charging stations around the parks and very few outlets that guests can access. I've been told if you're willing to leave your phone (or camera), they can charge some kinds at Guest Services (but I don't have first-hand knowledge).

PassPorter Guide for the Staying in Style forum
HiddenMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Pax
Community Rank: Scout

I believe you can charge your phones at Guest Services - but YOU have to provide the charger. Also, I'm sure their number of plugs is limited, and I'm also sure they accept no liability for lost or stolen items (like expensive smartphones).
Pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank: Explorer

I had read earlier in the year here on PassPorter that guests were allowed to charge cameras and phones at Guest Services as Sean has stated. We always went back to our room to recharge, so I didn't have to utilize it. We used Mobile Magic app quite frequently so it was definitely in need of frequent charging.

Scarfing down Chocolate Extinction at T-Rex
My Countdown Counting down to: Beach time and Mouse Time
Enjoying another Florida vacation
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsJune 2012 Disney Dream and BWV;June 2011 WL and Vero Beach; August 2010 AKLV;April 2010 Disneyland; August 2009 AKLV; April 2009 Disneyland; June 2008 AKLV; December 2007 SSR; June 2007 BCV; June 2006 OKW; June 2005 WL
WDWJAMBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Pax
Community Rank: Scout

I'll also point out, you can often get "reserve" batteries for your phone or other mobile device, allowing you to quickly charge, or at least partial-charge, your device. For example this unit for the iPod and iPhone, made by Kensington. Units like this need to be charged with an outlet and a cord, just like your phone or other mobile device.

Alternately, there are some that come with solar panels, and can (slowly) recharge themselves just by being left in sunlight. This small one, not quite as big as most smartphones, is one such unit; you would generally us it the way you would one of the external batteries, but you could let sunlight charge it up (though, that one specifically? Needs to be in sunlight for 10 hurs to fill it's own battery. Good for relaxing by the beach, or watching the kids play at a waterpark. Not quite so good in the parks.)

Finally, if you're going to be bringing a backpack? You could consider this device, which would provide a steady power flow via USB cable. Perhaps, to one or more of those rechargeable batteries, eh? With that strapped to your backpack, almost every minute you spent in sunlight would also be a bit more power to use your mobile devices with. Come to think of it, you could put it on a scooter or stroller, too.

So, anyway: there are several other alternatives that may work for you, some of them quite affordable (seriously, thirty bucks for the external battery? Not to shabby, eh?). Taking a mid-afternoon break and charging in your room; giving Guest Services a try; bringing an external battery and/or that bigger solar panel with you. Maybe a couple more I haven't thought of, too!

Last edited by Pax; 10-03-2012 at 09:25 PM..
Pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

i have an i-phone and i have an externel case that is an extra battery but i found this on line here is the link
Amazon.com: Ankerģ Astro 5600mAh Backup External Battery Pack Charger with built-in Flashlight for Apple: iPhone 5 4S 4G 3GS 3G, iPad, iPad 2, iPod; Most Android Phones: Motorola Triumph, Verizon Droid Razr, X2, Bionic / Samsung Galaxy S3 S III I9300
for a longer life without having to stop to charge the phone

My Countdown Counting down to: Star Wars and a Dream
let the magic begin
My Previous Tripstooo many to write aug 2013 BlT May 2014 Dream cruise and SWW
disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:30 AM   #7 (permalink)
Community Rank: Traveler

We have charged our camera at Guest Relations in Magic Kingdom when we decided not go back to the resort mid-day and had forgotten the extra battery. We needed to have our own charger, but they were more than happy to accomodate us.

Grandkids- Ian and Stella
My Countdown Counting down to:
My Previous TripsMore trips to the World than I can count
DVC393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Community Rank: Jetsetter

I'd bring an extra battery if you have one. My digital camera has 2 batteries (although I'm considering adding another one) and my phone has the extended battery - which I'm hoping lasts all day long.

My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsSeptember 26, 2004 - CBR/Disney Wonder (Land and Sea Package); March 28- April 4, 2009 - POP Century/WDW - Celebrating Munchkin's 10th Birthday October 8 - 12, 2010 - Howard Johnson Disneyland, CA June 5 - 12, 2013 - Beach Club/WDW
dolphin041599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
PassPorter Guide

Community Rank: Trailblazer

While in WDW and using your phone heavily, change a few settings to stretch that battery a bit.

Make sure wi-fi is turned off. Lower the brightness on your screen. Turn off push notifications. Turn off vibrate. Quit any apps that you aren't using (especially Facebook; on Android it keeps polling in the background and drains the battery super fast). Set your auto-lock time low, like 1 minute. Avoid using the phone (either the screen or the camera flash) as an illuminator; carry a flashlight instead. If you don't use the phone for calls very often, leave your Bluetooth headset home and turn off your phone's Bluetooth.
WillCAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:55 PM   #10 (permalink)

Concierge Level: 3
Supposedly the new tent in Storybook Circus and the Fantasyland bathrooms (where the skyway was) will have outlets to recharge phones and ECV's - but good luck actually getting a plug. I would think everyone would be there using them.

http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/...zones'.htm

Celebrating Lenny's birthday at Epcot August 2014

Looking for all of my previous reports? Click my TR link.

Our FROZEN filled TR UPDATED 10/13 POSTS 258 & 259

My Previous TripsAll WDW - July 1980 off property - July 1981 FW - July 1983 FW - July 1985 FW - August 1987 FW - July 1988 Treehouse Villas - July 1990 Treehouse Villas - July 1997 FW - August 2006 AS Sports, 1st time with DH and DD - August 2008 AS Sports - August 2009 AS Sports - August 2010 AS Sports - July 2011 AS Sports - August 2013 AS Music - August 2014 AS Music

Last edited by CinderAbby; 10-04-2012 at 09:58 PM.. Reason: added a link
CinderAbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:07 AM   #11 (permalink)
Community Rank: Passenger

Thanks everyone!! Those are GREAT ideas. I checked the Moms Panel on the Disney website, and they say that any of the "camera" spots at WDW will charge your phone while you wait, but you need to supply the charger.
goofygirl74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:23 AM   #12 (permalink)
power of the pixies

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofygirl74 View Post
Thanks everyone!! Those are GREAT ideas. I checked the Moms Panel on the Disney website, and they say that any of the "camera" spots at WDW will charge your phone while you wait, but you need to supply the charger.

that depends on the phone.. my husband needed his phone charged (Droid) & didn't have his charger & the camera station at MK was able to charge it with no problems...

I believe it also took less than an hour

My Countdown Counting down to: Jamie turns 21
OMG He's legal
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous Trips1980-June, 1996-April,Sept,2000-Oct., 2001-Feb, Oct, 2002-March, Oct, 2003-March, Oct, 2004-Jan,July,Oct, 2005-May,Dec, March 2008- watching Jamie's HS band march at MK,March 2010-both boys march at MK, 2012 Brendan marches in SpectroMagic
disneyknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:52 AM   #13 (permalink)
Community Rank: Trailblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pax View Post
I'll also point out, you can often get "reserve" batteries for your phone or other mobile device, allowing you to quickly charge, or at least partial-charge, your device. For example this unit for the iPod and iPhone, made by Kensington. Units like this need to be charged with an outlet and a cord, just like your phone or other mobile device.
My husband purchased one of the extenders for a convention he went to. He usually stays out for 16+ hours a day. He didn't have to worry about charging his phone as it lasted throughout the day.
My Previous TripsOn-Site:CRB 1/92, DxL 2/93 DxL 5/94, DxL 9/95, DxL 9/97, ASS 8/00, Poly 12/02---Off-Site:Family vacation villa: 5/03, 7/03, 12/03, 2/04, 5/04, 7/04, 12/04, 7/05, 11/05, 12/06, 1/07, 10/07, 12/08, 4/09, 1/10, 5/10
minemoz1 is offline   Reply With Quote