How "accurate" are the height measurements? - PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel
PassPorter.com
Message Board Community
Home Florida - Walt Disney World Caribbean - Disney Cruise Line California - Disneyland Resort Anywhere and Everywhere! Travelers Store Community PassPorter's Club Help!
   Welcome!  |   Answers  |  Guidelines  |  Shorthands  |  Newsletters  |  Our Guides  |   Photos  | Login Problems  |  Help  |  Bookmark Us |  Follow Us on |
Search

Go Back   PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel > PassPorter's Walt Disney World Resort (Florida) > Touring the 'World': The Parks at Walt Disney World
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2012, 08:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Community Rank: Day-Tripper

How "accurate" are the height measurements?

First off- this is not a thread about cheating the system... I have seen a few here, and agree with others that adding padding/thick shoes is not exactly kosher.

However, we're trying to prepare our nearly-four-year-old for this year's WDW trip. Last year, we all had a blast, and coming in at about 38" inches, he wasn't able to go on any of the "bigger kid" rides. He did go to Lego Land, and was able to ride one of the roller coasters there, and LOVED it.

So this year, he clocks in at about 40.5" with no shoes or socks on (that was a couple months ago, he is probably closer to 41" now). With normal shoes, it is ~41.5-42". However, I have been reading stories of kids who fit on the first measurement, but were suddenly turned around at the second measurement. Do I need to be concerned about this? Is the 40" requirement (For say, Big Thunder, and Splash Mountain) really 41"+ when you get to the final measurement? Or is that 40" pretty well set? Do I need to get ready for "Well you are the right height, but the ride people say you're not quite big enough?" or should we be in the clear?
Neros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Community Rank: Navigator

Concierge Level: 7
I only have one experience with this. Our friend's child had made the measurement requirement for Space Mountain the week before and was able to ride it the previous week. However, when we went he made it past the first measurement, but didn't make it past the final one and he was crushed. Maybe preparing him wouldn't be a bad idea, just in case.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Community Rank: Trekker

Concierge Level: 3
I would prepare him for the possibility of not being able to ride this year. When we are talking about 1-2 inches it is very easy to be off a little. Good Luck!
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsOrlando/Daytona Beach 1997 WDW Jan 2000 WDW(visit Daughter) June 2000 WDW Dec 2001 WDW/Universal Dec 2007 WDW April 2010 DCL Magic Nov 2012
mcneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Community Rank: Globetrotter

My experience is that you can be measured and ALLOWED to ride a ride several times and then get another cast member and they turn him away!! Mission Space 2010. Try explaining THAT one to your kid who loves rocket ships! So from then on I adopted a they can say no at any time and we have to do what they say no argument attitude it's the only way to reduce risk of meltdown.

This trip I noticed DS might meet requirement on primeval whirl - but I told him above statement, he agreed so we tried it and sure enough we rode it several times that day. Couple days later I warned him again but he got to ride. Realized height req same on RNR and started preparing him for that if he wanted to and told him they could say no on measurement. They let him on and he loved it.

[url='http://www.mickeypath.com/']

Follow me on pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/calmomslp247/ Follow me on twitter: pin collector@Mikethepinnut & follow store : Lamb's Collectibles@ColshopS http://stores.ebay.com/Collect-Stuff-Collectibles
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsWDW POR July 2008; WDW BWV, AKV-J, SSR July 2009; WDW SSR,AKV-K,POP,ASM,BCV May 2010 WDW SSR, AKV-K, POP May 2012 WDW POP, AKV-K December 2012 WDW SSR, OKW May 2013 WDW POP, DCL MAGIC, OKW May 2014 WooHOO!
trixiedixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Go Red Sox!! :D
PassPorter's Club Passholder

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank: Legend

Concierge Level: 6
Try earlier in the day. We can 'shrink' .5 - 1 full inch over the course of any day.
My Previous TripsPOR July 2014, WL CL September 2013, CSR BL July 2013, SSR December 2012, ASMo September/October 2012, CSR August 2011, SSR February 2010, CSR December 2008/January 2009, DLR (Dolphin's Cove Resort) February 2008, CBR September 2007, CSR August 2006, POR December 2005, WL June/July 2004, POR August 2002, Dixie Landings August 2000, Off-site February 1999, DLR March 1988, DLR March 1986, Golf Resort (now SOG) October 1979
DyanKJ130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:06 AM   #6 (permalink)

I'm here to say, just because your child meets the height requirements doesn't mean they should ride. My daughter met the height for space moutain, but she is tiny and slide all over the place in the seat. Scared me to death. I'm pretty sure she could have easily fallen out. At the end of the ride she was sideways in the car, almost in the foot portion. If it was a double seat ride DH or myself could have held on to her. Just be careful.

Suzanne

My Previous Trips2010 All Star Movies 2003 All Star Sports 2000 All Star Sports 1999 All Star Sports 1995 Port Orleans 1993 All Start Sports 1990 off property 1987 off property 1982 off property
suzq62982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:28 AM   #7 (permalink)
Community Rank: Jetsetter

I'm just here to say Good Luck! I know how hard it is when a child is excited to ride something and gets turned away. The nice thing about Disney is that they will be tall enough at a much younger age than other theme parks. My 8 1/2 year old still has a rough time at Six Flags and Universal.

Fun at Jambo House
My Countdown Counting down to: Christmas in a Treehouse
59 days, 1 hours, 39 minutes
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsDLR '82, WDW '89, '91, '95. POR'97,DLH'03, DLH'06, OKW Jan. & SSR June '08 VWL March 09, BWV Jan 10, VWL March '11, Branson MO June 2011, DLR Sept 2011, Tree House Adventure & Harry Potter Birthday Bash June 2012! Haunted Mansion holiday DLR Oct 2012, ASM & AKL June 2013, BWV Spring Break 2014
Kynna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
PassPorter's Club Passholder

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank: Explorer

Concierge Level: 6
I think preparing him for the possibility of being turned away is the way to go. It might be fun to allow him to prepare "Plan B" if that happens. That way, he feels he's in the driver's seat no matter what.

Scarfing down Chocolate Extinction at T-Rex
My Countdown Counting down to: Beach time and Mouse Time
Enjoying another Florida vacation
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsJune 2012 Disney Dream and BWV;June 2011 WL and Vero Beach; August 2010 AKLV;April 2010 Disneyland; August 2009 AKLV; April 2009 Disneyland; June 2008 AKLV; December 2007 SSR; June 2007 BCV; June 2006 OKW; June 2005 WL
WDWJAMBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:03 AM   #9 (permalink)
Community Rank: Explorer

Concierge Level: 3
Don't forget - being turned away this year (if it happens) is a good reason to plan another trip back.

Celebrating Lenny's birthday at Epcot August 2014

Looking for all of my previous reports? Click my TR link.

Our FROZEN filled TR UPDATED 10/13 POSTS 258 & 259

My Previous TripsAll WDW - July 1980 off property - July 1981 FW - July 1983 FW - July 1985 FW - August 1987 FW - July 1988 Treehouse Villas - July 1990 Treehouse Villas - July 1997 FW - August 2006 AS Sports, 1st time with DH and DD - August 2008 AS Sports - August 2009 AS Sports - August 2010 AS Sports - July 2011 AS Sports - August 2013 AS Music - August 2014 AS Music
CinderAbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:59 AM   #10 (permalink)

space mountain is the worst ride for a small kid very unsafe restraint system
BWV- 2005 Steven's 6th Birthday\DVC Member since 2003-BCV 2005 SSR\POLY,BWV,SSR,VWL,DCL,AND BCV-2007\ BWV & Cabins-2008\ Disneyland 2009\ Disneyland & Disneyworld- 2010 wdw. universal.vero beachand disney dream aug 2011. wdw 15yr anny june/july 2012
My Countdown Counting down to: 4 nite Vero Beach Resort, 5 nite BLT, 4 nite BWV. Our 15th Wedding Anniversary!!!
By work!!! We are out of here!!!
My Previous Tripsjune 27 2012 disneyland 6 days wdw 7 days
tigersprinkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:24 PM   #11 (permalink)
Community Rank: Traveler

Concierge Level: 5
Last spring, my nephew measured 41" at the doctor a week before our trip, so we thought he would be fine on the 40" rides. He easily got on BTMRR and Soarin', but when it came time for the one he (and my sister) wanted most, Dinosaur, three different CMs said he was too short and wouldn't let him ride. He was 3 1/2 at the time, and kept crying "But I'm a big boy! I love dinosaurs!" We think the problem was the way they were measuring him. At the others, they had him stand in front of the stick, but at that one, they were trying to get him to stand up under it, which made him duck his head to allow the CMs to pass their hands in between. So I'd say be prepared for it to go either way. Good luck!
My Previous TripsWDW: 1976-1999 Too many to count; Day trip Jan 2002; SOG Aug 2005; SOG Aug 2006; Pop July 2007; SOG & AS Music May 2008; AS Music March-April 2009; off-property for MNSSHP September 2009; SOG June 2010; SOG & CBR April 2012; SOG May 2013; off-property for MNSSHP 2013; off-property for MVMCP 2013 DLR: MHP 2010; Spring Break 2011; MHP 2011 (Disneyland Hotel); MHP 2012 (PPH)
Mommy Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:07 AM   #12 (permalink)
Community Rank: Day-Tripper

Thanks for the great tips everyone! We are going to prepare him that at some rides he may be turned away. We are also practicing him standing tall, because I'd hate for him to be turned away because he is slouching. And as mentioned, if he is turned away, there will always be next year! (my parents are DVC members, and have us down to WDW every winter).

Re: Space Mountain- no worries on that, as he wont be near tall enough to ride it (3" short), and there is no way I'd try to game the system to get him on.

He is tall enough to go on TOT, but gah.. why? I love it, but he is way too young/little, and the last thing I'd want to do at Disney is scare the heck out of him (there is a big chance that he'd love it, as he is a little thrill junkie, but DEFINITELY not worth the risk). He also really wants to go on DINOSAUR, and while tall enough, I have my reservations, as it is a bit... intense. I remember several years ago, when we took my 5-year-old nephew on it, and it scared the daylights out of him (we had not been on it, and were thinking more the dinosaur energy ride in Epcot, and had to cover his eyes for most of the ride). I don't think I want that experience again!
Neros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:04 PM   #13 (permalink)
Community Rank: Globetrotter

Hard to explain to them when they were able to ride one of the big rides only to be turned away next time. Even more upsetting when you are given the go ahead stand in the long line then turned down at the top. So it is something to be prepaired if they are just making the mark.
My Previous TripsHRP 90, 93,95,97,98,2001 ALL AT CB, 2002-WL. In 2003 WL,CB, CS 2004 CB,WL 2005 CB,BC/WL ,2006 PC,WL,PC, 2007 FW, PC, 2008-PC , SS, PC. 2009 Poly. PC ,WLV. 2010 PC,AKL. 2011 & 2013 WLV-.2014 WLV
Nova is offline   Reply With Quote