USA Today's Disney's Wireless Wristbands: Convenient or Creepy? - PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel
PassPorter.com
Message Board Community
Home Florida - Walt Disney World Caribbean - Disney Cruise Line California - Disneyland Resort Anywhere and Everywhere! Travelers Store Community PassPorter's Club Help!
   Welcome!  |   Answers  |  Guidelines  |  Shorthands  |  Newsletters  |  Our Guides  |   Photos  | Login Problems  |  Help  |  Bookmark Us |  Follow Us on |
Search

Go Back   PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel > PassPorter's Walt Disney World Resort (Florida) > Touring the 'World': The Parks at Walt Disney World
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 09:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
Community Rank: Jetsetter

Concierge Level: 2
Lightbulb USA Today's Disney's Wireless Wristbands: Convenient or Creepy?

Pretty interesting article on the wristbands.

Disney's new wireless wristbands: Convenient or creepy?
Old 01-10-2013, 10:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
Community Rank: Globetrotter

Little creepy! I am not in favor of these at all.
My Previous TripsWDW 1985, WDW 1989, WDW 1995, WDW 2007, Disney Wonder 2008, SSR 2009, AKL 2010, DCL 5 night cruise May 30th 2010. WDW Jan 2011. 6 days at Treehouses and 7 day on the Fantasy. Old Key West Nov 2012. Treehouses Oct 2013. Beach Club villas and Bay Lake Towers May/June 2014. Sept 2014 Offsite 4 days and OKW for 5. Upcoming Disney Wonder Feb 2015
nurse_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:30 AM   #3 (permalink)

Concierge Level: 6
We need to give Disney a chance to see how they work-I have no problem with the technology-it states you can have the option to opt out information.

People discuss privacy issues all the time but do not realize there personal information is already out in cyper world with the credit card companys-Doctors office-insurance companies-Gov't institutions-banks-grocery stores,etc.
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsWDW SEPT 2012 BEACH CLUB VILLA WDW SEPT 2010 BEACH CLUB WDW DEC 2009-CORONADO RESORT WDW APRIL 2009-CORONADO RESORT WDW MAY 2007-CARIBBEAN RESORT WDW AUG 2004ANIMAL KINGDOM LODGE WDW JUNE 1997 CARIBBEAN RESORT
mike56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Community Rank: Traveler

Convenient. People can be creepy. Technology in the hands of creepy people is scary.
Just don't lose your wristband. No different than not losing your wallet, purse, fanny pack, back pack, you name it. What ever you carry your identity in while in the parks should be watched at all times.
My Previous TripsWDW 2008 - Pop Century, WDW 2009 - All Star Movies, WDW 2010 - Caribbean Beach, WDW 2012 - Caribbean Beach, WDW 2013 - Art of Animation
Patrick FaMILY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

I really like the photopass wristbands they have. I used mine not just at Typhoon Lagoon but at the parks as well. It was so convenient. But, it also only had pictures on it and not personal information on it.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Community Rank:
Legend Extraordinaire

great technology with a real big slippery slope potential. I don't like that they track you wherever you go in the parks
My Previous Trips2014 BC, 2014 BWI, 2013 BC, 2013 GF, 2012 BC, 2012 OKW, 2012 BWI, 2011 BWI, 2011 BC, 2010 BC, 2010 CSR, 2010 Kidani, 2009 GCV, 2009 BC, 2008 BWV, 2008 Grand Californian, 2008 BC, 2007 BWI, 2007 POFQ, 2007 Grand Californian, 2006 BC, 2006 POR, 2006 WL, 2005 BC, 2005 BWI, 2005 CBR, 2004 CR, 2004 GF, 2004 POFQ 2004 Poly, 2003 Poly, 2003 CSR, 2003 POR, 2002 AKL, 2002 GF, 2001 AKL, 2001 Poly, 2000 CBR, 1999 CBR, 1998 ASMo, 1997 ASMu, 1996 ASMu, 1995 ASSp, 1991 Wyndham, 1989 off site, 1985 Off Site
jimmymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
PassPorter Message Board Manager

Community Rank:
Legend VIP

Concierge Level: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmymac View Post
great technology with a real big slippery slope potential. I don't like that they track you wherever you go in the parks
That's the element I don't like either. I see it as collecting information on you and what you do, see etc. in a bit of a sly way. Previously if they wanted to know that, they'd have to ask you and you'd know you were giving the information out.

Enjoying time with my donkey boy on our holiday visit to Disneyland Paris. The trip report for our Italy road trip is now complete, but the ones for our weekend away in Longleat and Stonehenge and our weekend away in Brussels are both continuing.

I'm Cheryl and I'm the author of PassPorter's Walt Disney World for British Holidaymakers and the co-author of PassPorter's Disney Vacation Club Guide I'm also one of the PassPorter guides for the Disney Vacation Club, Eateries, Globetrotting, Globetrotting Trip Reports, Disneyland Resort Paris and Disneyland Trip Reports forums.

My Countdown Counting down to: My birthday
3 days, 2 hours, 41 minutes
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsDisney: 17 trips to WDW, 5 to Disneyland in California, 8 to Disneyland Paris, 1 to Hong Kong Disneyland, 1 to Tokyo Disney, 1 to Aulani, 1 to Hilton Head, 2 to Vero Beach and 6 Disney cruises on the Magic, Wonder, Dream and Fantasy to the Caribbean (three times), Alaska (once) and the Mediterranean (twice). Non-Disney (because otherwise I can't keep track...): American cities (Boston, Chicago, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, New York, Philadelphia, San Diego, San Francisco, Washington DC), American National Parks (Arches, Bryce Canyon, Canyonlands, Death Valley, Everglades, Grand Canyon, Grand Tetons, Virgin Islands, Yellowstone, Yosemite, Zion), Hawaii (Oahu, Kauai, Maui and Big Island) and Europe (England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Ireland, France, Spain (including Tenerife, Lanzarote and Mallorca), Germany, Belgium, Switzerland, Austria, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Monaco, Finland, Norway and Sweden)
chezp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

I am a bit unsure of the security of putting credit card information on it

My Countdown Counting down to: Going home for Christmas
Home
Thomhazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:02 PM   #9 (permalink)

I wonder what Disney is going to do when they see people go through the turnstiles only to disappear off of their metrics when they get inside. We won't be wearing the wristbands. They will be used to enter the parks and our rooms. Gift cards to pay for everything. We rarely use Fastpass so won't need them for that. The rest of the time they'll be in a nice RF shielded pouch of some sort. Plenty of stuff out there for that now. If they want to know where I've gone and what I've done they can ask me.
fluttercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
Eileeeeeeen!ô
PassPorter's Club Passholder

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank: Legend

But in capturing where you go and what you do, they're interested in learning what "tripped you up" or what took too long. For them, that means they'll know where the guest experience was lacking.

While I'm no fan of Big Brother, I see this as Disney's way of learning how to facilitate my vacation, not as some evil overlord way of watching me like some sort of predator.

Eileen
PassPorter guide for Feasting and Snacking: The Eateries and Planning Your Adventure: Your Plans
My Previous TripsSometime in the 70's with mom; 1990 honeymoon; 1994 trip with brother; 2002 Dec - POFQ; 2003 May - ASMovies; 2003 Oct - ASMovies; 2004 May - Pop; 2004 Sept - AKL; 2004 Nov - PORiverside; 2005 May - Grand Gathering #1; 2005 Dec - Mousefest w/Karen; 2006 March - DLR w/Karen; 2006 June - Beach Club w/Karen; 2006 Dec - Grand Gathering #2; 2007 Feb DLR Girls Trip; 2007 Dec - Appetizer trip/Mousfest w/CLT; 2008 Jun - CLT+2 meet the Koenigs; 2008 Dec - CLQ Broken Ankle Tribute; 2009 Mar - Unclenching at POFQ!; 2009 June - Sweating with Friends; 2009 Dec - Sousefest09; 2011 Dec - 3 to a bed; 2012 Jul - Even Eileen! (DLR)
Caldercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:26 PM   #11 (permalink)

If I get tripped up or something takes too long, I'll let them know. As would most people. They don't need this.
fluttercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:36 PM   #12 (permalink)
Community Rank: Day-Tripper

My biggest concern is one of security. There are many examples out there of RFID systems being hacked in one way or another (*), either allowing for access to one's personal data (unlikely if Disney has designed the system as they say they have), or allowing one to duplicate an RFID card (or in this case bracelet) by simply passing a duplicating device near it (which could be hidden in a purse, bag, etc).

Sure, it is not easy to do, and there are ways to somewhat mitigate this risk, but the potential for 1) getting an unsuspecting person's room key and 2) knowing they are not in the hotel (i.e.- out and about in the park) might be quite motivating to an unsavory type of person.

(*) for a good example (and if you're a big tech nerd like me ), google for a presentation called "Milking the digital cash cow." It was at a recent conference, and is quite interesting to see the potential security issues with RFID and Near Field Communication devices.
Neros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:51 PM   #13 (permalink)

I would opt out of putting any of my credit card info on it. No way!
Old 01-10-2013, 08:57 PM   #14 (permalink)
PassPorter's Club Passholder

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank: Explorer

I like knowing who I am giving my info to and having a choice whether or not to give it out. I just can't seem to make the leap into pre-planned FastPasses.

It just isn't how we tour. We're rather spontaneous, and for us, that's part of the best family memories we have. If I feel too scheduled, it's not fun then. :

Scarfing down Chocolate Extinction at T-Rex
My Countdown Counting down to: Beach time and Mouse Time
Enjoying another Florida vacation
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsJune 2012 Disney Dream and BWV;June 2011 WL and Vero Beach; August 2010 AKLV;April 2010 Disneyland; August 2009 AKLV; April 2009 Disneyland; June 2008 AKLV; December 2007 SSR; June 2007 BCV; June 2006 OKW; June 2005 WL
WDWJAMBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:03 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike56 View Post
People discuss privacy issues all the time but do not realize there personal information is already out in cyper world with the credit card companys-Doctors office-insurance companies-Gov't institutions-banks-grocery stores,etc.
I keep my online presence to a minimum. I only give the necessary information, i.e., my doctor's office does not need my SSN.

This is intrusive and invasive and I don't like it. I also don't want to wear a bracelet all day long. I can only imagine the irritation it will cause, especially when its hot out.

My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsSeptember 26, 2004 - CBR/Disney Wonder (Land and Sea Package); March 28- April 4, 2009 - POP Century/WDW - Celebrating Munchkin's 10th Birthday October 8 - 12, 2010 - Howard Johnson Disneyland, CA June 5 - 12, 2013 - Beach Club/WDW
dolphin041599 is offline   Reply With Quote