Magic Bands.... Loved Them! - PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel
PassPorter.com
Message Board Community
Home Florida - Walt Disney World Caribbean - Disney Cruise Line California - Disneyland Resort Anywhere and Everywhere! Travelers Store Community PassPorter's Club Help!
   Welcome!  |   Answers  |  Guidelines  |  Shorthands  |  Newsletters  |  Our Guides  |   Photos  | Login Problems  |  Help  |  Bookmark Us |  Follow Us on |
Search

Go Back   PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel > PassPorter's Walt Disney World Resort (Florida) > Touring the 'World': The Parks at Walt Disney World
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2013, 09:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
The Original BagMan
PassPorter's Club Passholder

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank: Legend

Concierge Level: 6
Magic Bands.... Loved Them!

Just got back from 4 nights/5 days at WDW. Stayed at Pop Century, one of the resorts using the magic bands. Loved them!!!

About a week before our arrival, I received the bands in the mail. Travelers were myself, my wife (Jan), and our 7 year old granddaughter (Abby). Each band had the users name on the inside of the band.

I went to the MyDisneyExperience app for my I-Phone and registered the bands, linked them to the reservation, and linked my AP to my band. Jan and Abby had vouchers for their passes so I couldn't link them yet.

When we arrived at WDW on Monday, I went straight to Member Services at DTD and we activated the passes for them, but they could not link the passes to the bands there. I was told to either go to the app or check with the desk at Pop.

Went to Pop. Normally the first time you go through the gate to check in, they want a pictured ID, this time they wanted one of the bands. He held it up to the scanner attached to an I-Pad, and welcomed me by name :-)

I did the pre-checkin, so I headed to that desk in the lobby. I did have to make a change, we added a day on to the trip. No problem and they showed all bands active and ready to use. I did go to the concierge desk (rather than use the app) and they added Jan and Abby's passes to their bands.

From then on, the bands were all we needed. They opened the door to our room (Abby liked being able to do that herself), had our park passes on them, and Jan and I had charging privileges on ours (we just needed to use a PIN code). Abby and I had one "glitch" on park entry but it was immediately corrected. It was nice going to the pool so Abby could swim, all you needed was a towel and your magic band, they are completely waterproof.

Using the MyDisneyExperience app, I was able to select 3 fast passes a day, either for each person individually or all together. This worked out nicely a couple of times, the last day we didn't get to DHS until almost 11 by the time we packed up and while riding the tram to the park I got fast passes for all 3 of us for Toy Story Mania valid about 30 minutes after we entered the park. While in the parks, I used the FP part of the app every day, in some cases the FP return times at the FP stations was later in the day and using the app I was able to get a FP time sooner.

I also recommend using the My Disney Experience app while in the parks, there is a lot of information immediately available in it. Jan and I were referring to it often, especially for wait times and menus... Our trip was being guided by Abby, so we were bouncing around a lot!

You are given a "regular" room card as well as the band when you check in, they have the RFID chip in them also so all you have to do is hold them against the readers.

The only suggestion I have is if you get an e-mail asking you to respond to customize your magic bands, do it. I didn't respond and our bands were gray/black, I'm sure Jan and Abby would have preferred other colors...

My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsDisneyland twice in 1970. WDW - 1985, 1987, and many times since 1999
LizardCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
PassPorter Message Board Manager

Community Rank:
Legend VIP

Concierge Level: 3
Thanks for the report Bill. Glad they worked out so well for you.

In front of the Eiffel Tower during our weekend away in Paris.

I'm Cheryl and I'm the author of PassPorter's Walt Disney World for British Holidaymakers and the co-author of PassPorter's Disney Vacation Club Guide I'm also one of the PassPorter guides for the Disney Vacation Club, Eateries, Globetrotting, Globetrotting Trip Reports, Disneyland Resort Paris and Disneyland Trip Reports forums.

My Countdown Counting down to: Boating around the Norfolk Boards
1 days, 16 hours, 16 minutes
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsDisney: 17 trips to WDW, 5 to Disneyland in California, 7 to Disneyland Paris, 1 to Hong Kong Disneyland, 1 to Tokyo Disney, 1 to Aulani, 1 to Hilton Head, 2 to Vero Beach and 5 Disney cruises on the Magic, Wonder, Dream and Fantasy. Non-Disney (because otherwise I can't keep track...): American cities (Boston, Chicago, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, New York, Philadelphia, San Diego, San Francisco, Washington DC), American National Parks (Arches, Bryce Canyon, Canyonlands, Death Valley, Everglades, Grand Canyon, Grand Tetons, Virgin Islands, Yellowstone, Yosemite, Zion), Hawaii (Oahu, Kauai, Maui and Big Island) and Europe (England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Ireland, France, Spain (including Tenerife, Lanzarote and Mallorca), Germany, Belgium, Switzerland, Austria, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Italy, Monaco, Finland, Norway and Sweden)
chezp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
Community Rank: Traveler

Awesome! Glad they worked so well! We are hoping they are in use when we go in May 2014!

My Countdown Counting down to: Our 2nd Honeymoon - Celebrating 20 Years of Marriage in WDW!
17 days, 8 hours, 46 minutes
My Previous TripsWDW November 2002 (All Star Movies), WDW November 2007 (POP Century)
Mom24Girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 10:11 AM   #4 (permalink)
Community Rank: Adventurer

Concierge Level: 1
Sounds great!! Things seem to be improving!!!

My Countdown Counting down to: The next trip to our favorite place!!
200 days, 9 hours, 46 minutes
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsMany as a kid with Mom and Dad, WDW off site Jan. 2004, ASMovies Jan. 2008, ASS Sep. 2008, POP Jan/Feb 2010, Disneyland Mar/April 2010, D23 & Disneyland 2011, ASS Sept 2011, off site July 2012 for the Disney Cup, DL Mar2013, ASS Sept 2013
cdnmousegirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 10:19 AM   #5 (permalink)
PassPorter Guide

Community Rank:
Legend Extraordinaire

Glad everything worked out well with the bands! It sounds easy and you don't have to worry about your card or FPs getting lost!
31 days, 8 hours, 46 minutes
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsWDW June 1979, WDW 1985, WDW 1987, WDW Oct 2003, WDW March 2004, WDW Oct 2004, WDW Sept 2005--Pop Century , WDW Nov 2006--Pop Century, WDW Jan 2007--Pop Century, WDW Nov/Dec 2009--Pop Century, DLR Oct 2011
KMB733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 10:20 AM   #6 (permalink)
Community Rank: Trekker

Sounds amazing!!!

COMPLETED (includingl MNSSHP)-Most Everyone's Mad Here

Ongoing and Never Ending TR: Updated 9/13- The Perpetual Disney Adventures with the D Family
mdobereiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 10:28 AM   #7 (permalink)

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank: Explorer

Thanks for the great feedback...so glad you had a positive experience with the Magic Bands!

Danielle

disneydani - Co-Guide for the Touring the 'World' Forum, Passporter Challenge Forum
disneydani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 10:36 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks for the info. I really liked the part about the pool (I'm the one who has to keep track of everything) only needing towels sounds great!
ath334@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 10:41 AM   #9 (permalink)
Community Rank: Jetsetter

Awesome!!!

My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsFirst time to meet Mickey @ Disney 1983 WDW March 1998 Coronado Springs WDW Sept. 2008 All-Star Music Resorts 2013 Nickelodeon Suites Orlando
karadisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 10:43 AM   #10 (permalink)
Community Rank: Explorer

Do you have a pic of the bands? Do you have to keep them on 24/7 even in sleep? Or is there a way to take them off and put them back on?
My Previous TripsWDW/Pop Century June 2008; WDW/AS Movies Thanksgiving 2009; WDW/Pop Century March 2010; DCL/Wonder to Alaska May 2011; WDW/Vaca Home off property Christmas 2012
B.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 10:46 AM   #11 (permalink)

Concierge Level: 5
Thank you for the report. I wonder if we will get the bands for our trip to the Poly in October?

Fun with Stitch while sailing in the Med on the Magic!
My Countdown Counting down to: Going back to the Poly!
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsFirst trip: Disneyland Ju.y 1965 with my grandparents, 16th Birthday party at the Contemporary in 1973, many trips to WDW since then, most recent, Grand Floridian, November 2006, DCL Mediterranean Cruise July 2007, Margaret's 8th birthday trip to the Polynesian, June 2008, Grand Floridian Concierge November 2008, March and November2009, DCL Inaugural Baltic Cruise June 2010. Polynesian Resort November 2010, All Star Sports March 2011, Polynesian March 2011, Disney Dream Concierge, November 2011, Contemporary CL November 2011, Disney Fantasy Concierge, October 2012, Disney Magic Mediterranean Cruise June 2013, Polynesian October 2013
MickeyWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 11:40 AM   #12 (permalink)

Thanks for the update! Glad it was a successful magic band trip!

My Countdown Counting down to: 6th Trip to Disney!
128 days, 14 hours, 46 minutes
My Previous TripsJune 2009 @ AKL, Sept 2010 @ CBR, Sept 2011 @ CSR, Aug 2012 @ Poly, Aug 2013 @ POR Royal Room, Aug 2014 @ CBR
PhilsEagles08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 12:04 PM   #13 (permalink)

Thanks for the report. I have been curious.
How did the bands feel? This is a consideration for Santina . If it feels clunky, heavy or rough she will not wear it

My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsWDW- August 1993,Feb 2000, Jan 2002,Feb 2003, Jan 2005, JAN 2007 and and Jan 2009, August 2011.
guitardiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 01:23 PM   #14 (permalink)
The Original BagMan

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank: Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.M. View Post
Do you have a pic of the bands? Do you have to keep them on 24/7 even in sleep? Or is there a way to take them off and put them back on?
Here's a link to the Disney site with magicband info.

Taking the Disney Guest Experience to the Next Level Disney Parks Blog

You can take them off at night, they have 2 rubber "nipples" that fit into the holes in the band and are totally adjustable. A portion of the band is removable for children with very small arms/wrists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardiva View Post
Thanks for the report. I have been curious.
How did the bands feel? This is a consideration for Santina . If it feels clunky, heavy or rough she will not wear it

It took a little bit to find a setting that was acceptable with Abby, the bands are flexible rigid rubber.

Here's some pictures:

My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsDisneyland twice in 1970. WDW - 1985, 1987, and many times since 1999
LizardCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 01:54 PM   #15 (permalink)
DMA

Concierge Level: 4
Thanks for the info! Never thought of the benefit for pool or water parks. That's awesome!

I like the idea of being able to access the app in the parks as well, but unfortunately, we do not have a smart phone, just an ipad. I'll be bringing it on the trip, but not into the parks, so I guess we won't have that accessibility when we're on the go. I'm hoping that we get chosen for a test in September!

~Donna

August 2011 - Girls Trip to the World

Nov/Dec 2012 - Our First Christmas Trip to the World

How much ice cream can we possible consume in one week?
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsApr. 1976 - off site, Nov. 1991 - Port Orleans, Nov. 1994 - off site, Sept. 2004 - POR, Jan. 2008 - All Star Music, Sept 2009 - POFQ, Sept/Oct 2010 - POFQ, Aug 2011 - POR, Nov/Dec 2012 - BLT Sept 2013 - BCV
DMA is offline   Reply With Quote