Magic Band and Fastpass + question. - PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel
PassPorter.com
Message Board Community
Home Florida - Walt Disney World Caribbean - Disney Cruise Line California - Disneyland Resort Anywhere and Everywhere! Travelers Store Community PassPorter's Club Help!
   Welcome!  |   Answers  |  Guidelines  |  Shorthands  |  Newsletters  |  Our Guides  |   Photos  | Login Problems  |  Help  |  Bookmark Us |  Follow Us on |
Search

Go Back   PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel > PassPorter's Walt Disney World Resort (Florida) > Touring the 'World': The Parks at Walt Disney World
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2013, 11:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
Community Rank: Sightseer

Magic Band and Fastpass + question.

We leave Monday and have our magic bands and I have picked the fast passes we want while there, but I have a question....

Has anyone that made the fastpass + picks been able to use their cards to get paper passes?

Theresa

dznylvr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Community Rank: Legend

It's my understanding that during this testing stage that everyone will also receive KTTW cards for a back-up in case there are problems with the magic bands. You will still be able to get paper fastpasses with your KTTW card. Have a great trip! We check in this Sunday!
My Previous Trips1981 Honeymoon-Fort Wilderness Campgrounds in a tent , 1984-Off Property , 1987-Off Property , 1993-Off Property , 1998-CBR , 2002-Poly Concierge , 2005-POFQ , 2006-CR Tower/Yacht Club , 2007-Poly, 2008-POFQ, 2009-Coronado Springs, 2011-CR Tower MK View, 2012-Pop Century, 2013-Pop Century
luvnwdwgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:03 AM   #3 (permalink)
Community Rank: Jetsetter

Concierge Level: 5
I believe that if you have picked your 3 FP+ attractions you will not be able to use your card to get more FP. Three is the limit. Someone on another message board tried to get more FP and was unable to do so.

Fun with Stitch while sailing in the Med on the Magic!
My Countdown Counting down to: Pre-swim camp trip to Disney!
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsFirst trip: Disneyland Ju.y 1965 with my grandparents, 16th Birthday party at the Contemporary in 1973, many trips to WDW since then, most recent, Grand Floridian, November 2006, DCL Mediterranean Cruise July 2007, Margaret's 8th birthday trip to the Polynesian, June 2008, Grand Floridian Concierge November 2008, March and November2009, DCL Inaugural Baltic Cruise June 2010. Polynesian Resort November 2010, All Star Sports March 2011, Polynesian March 2011, Disney Dream Concierge, November 2011, Contemporary CL November 2011, Disney Fantasy Concierge, October 2012, Adventures By Disney Backstage Magic June 2012, Disney Magic Mediterranean Cruise June 2013, Polynesian October 2013, Tanzania Safari December2013 celebrating my Mom's 80th birthday.
MickeyWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
Community Rank: Trekker

When were you able to request your fast pass+ times? I have the magic bands too but when I go to request times for Sept, it won't let me.

Sammy 5 years and Peyton 15 months - September 2013

poohbr2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Eileeeeeeen!ô
PassPorter's Club Passholder

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Concierge Level: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnwdwgal View Post
It's my understanding that during this testing stage that everyone will also receive KTTW cards for a back-up in case there are problems with the magic bands. You will still be able to get paper fastpasses with your KTTW card. Have a great trip! We check in this Sunday!
This is what I've read from friends' experiences using them during the testing. They had their 3 pre-scheduled FP+ times, and then were able to use their Keys to the World cards to get ad hoc FPs like always.

I have yet to see when or if Disney will officially announce that FP+ will be the only way to get FPs once the testing is done. (I've seen articles where third parties mention this, but not a direct quote from Disney, which is the only thing I'll trust as "fact.")

Personally, I think that making FPs a resort guest-only perq will be a misstep for Disney, based on decades of "no one gets preferential treatment" policies. That seems counter to Disney's approach to ALL guests being equal.

But that's just my personal opinion.

Eileen
PassPorter guide for Feasting and Snacking: The Eateries and Planning Your Adventure: Your Plans
My Previous TripsSometime in the 70's with mom; 1990 honeymoon; 1994 trip with brother; 2002 Dec - POFQ; 2003 May - ASMovies; 2003 Oct - ASMovies; 2004 May - Pop; 2004 Sept - AKL; 2004 Nov - PORiverside; 2005 May - Grand Gathering #1; 2005 Dec - Mousefest w/Karen; 2006 March - DLR w/Karen; 2006 June - Beach Club w/Karen; 2006 Dec - Grand Gathering #2; 2007 Feb DLR Girls Trip; 2007 Dec - Appetizer trip/Mousfest w/CLT; 2008 Jun - CLT+2 meet the Koenigs; 2008 Dec - CLQ Broken Ankle Tribute; 2009 Mar - Unclenching at POFQ!; 2009 June - Sweating with Friends; 2009 Dec - Sousefest09; 2011 Dec - 3 to a bed; 2012 Jul - Even Eileen! (DLR)

Last edited by Caldercup; 08-28-2013 at 01:06 PM..
Caldercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:09 AM   #6 (permalink)
Community Rank: Wayfarer

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbr2015 View Post
When were you able to request your fast pass+ times? I have the magic bands too but when I go to request times for Sept, it won't let me.
Good question, I was wondering the same thing. I'm not going until November but just don't want to miss out on the good slots. How far out in advance do they permit you to make Fastpass+ times?
My Previous TripsWDW Jun 1984, DL Jul 1997, WDW All-Star Sports Aug 2009, WDW Coronado Springs Nov 2013, WDW Coronado Springs Nov 2014
Polish Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:21 AM   #7 (permalink)
Community Rank: Traveler

Concierge Level: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldercup View Post
This is what I've read from friends' experiences using them during the testing. They had their 3 pre-scheduled FP+ times, and then were able to use their Keys to the World cards to get ad hoc FPs like always.

I have yet to see when or if Disney will officially announce that FP+ will be the only way to get FPs once the testing is done. (I've seen articles where third parties mention this, but not a direct quote from Disney, which is the only thing I'll trust as "fact.")

Personally, I think that making FPs a resort guest-only perq will be a misstep for Disney, based on decades of "no one gets preferential treatment" policies. That seems counter to Disney's approach to ALL guests being equal.

But that's just my personal opinion.
ITA with that. I didn't realize until just recently that they were eventually planning to do away with paper FP's altogether. I will use a MagicBand for other reasons, but personally, I just don't like the aspect of planning (and then being tied to) my rides so far in advance. It kills the spontaneity and really, the ability to adjust plans if your chosen-way-in-advance park ends up being really busy when you actually arrive.

~ There's nothing like a little Rope Drop music to start your day! ~

My Countdown Counting down to: Girls escape weekend!!
Pina Colavas by the pool, baby!!!!
My Previous TripsWDW: 1987 off-site, 1996 Ft. Wilderness, 2004 ASMovies, 2006 POR, 2008 POR, 2010 POFQ, 2011 AKL/ASMu, 2012 - 2 day trips
LegoMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:42 AM   #8 (permalink)
Community Rank: Traveler

Multiple people on multiple boards are reporting yes, you can use your KTTW card for regular fastpass. Fastpass is open through oct for testers I believe so just keep checking for nov- around 60 days out.
My Previous TripsWDW 1992, WDW 1999, WDW & All Star Sports May 2009, Kidani Village and WLV 2010, POFQ 2011, Disney Dream 2012, All Star Music Jan 2013, WLV and AKV Oct 2013, AsSports and VGF 2014
kellensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
PassPorter Guide

Community Rank: Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegoMom View Post
ITA with that. I didn't realize until just recently that they were eventually planning to do away with paper FP's altogether. I will use a MagicBand for other reasons, but personally, I just don't like the aspect of planning (and then being tied to) my rides so far in advance. It kills the spontaneity and really, the ability to adjust plans if your chosen-way-in-advance park ends up being really busy when you actually arrive.

It's not certain yet what's going to happen to the old FP system once the new systems are all completely in place and operational.

My personal opinion, and this is just supposition, is that the FP+ system will be available to on-site Guests, while off-site Guests will still have access to the original FP system. I just don't see Disney removing FP access for off-site Guests after, what, 13 years?

I don't know whether on-site Guests will ALSO have the option to use the regular FP system, along with the FP+ system. I think it's possible.

I suppose it's possible that the old FP system might be converted to FP+, and off-site Guests would be able to get up to 3 FPs per day like on-site Guests do - but off-site Guests would have to get their FPs same-day only, and wouldn't be able to get them 180 days in advance, like on-site Guests can. But if Disney were going to implement something like that, I think at this point there would have been some rumors to that effect.

------------------------------------------------------------------

But wait - let's use some logic here!

All park passes are now RFID cards, right? You can't get into the parks with the old magnetic strip ticket media; you must exchange them for the new RFID ticket media.

This means that the old FP machines, which used magnetic strip media, don't work. So there must be new FP machines in the parks, right now, which can accept RFID ticket media.

Disney would not spend the substantial amount of money needed to upgrade/replace all of the FP machines in the parks if they were only going to use them for a few months until the FP+ system is completely rolled out, would they?

Therefore, logically, I believe that the old FP system is here to stay, and it will not be removed once FP+ is put into place.

I wonder if anyone has any recent pics of the FP distribution areas at Soarin' or Expedition Everest or Toy Story Midway Mania they could post? I'd like to see the current FP machines.

Last edited by WillCAD; 08-29-2013 at 08:40 AM..
WillCAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:42 AM   #10 (permalink)
Community Rank: Adventurer

Concierge Level: 3
Magic Band and Fastpass + question.

I have also read reports stating people can get extra FPs from the paper ticket machines with their cards -- and reports saying that Disney plans to phase out the paper ticket machines.

I wanted to add that Disney does not plan to restrict FP+ (or even the bands) to WDW resort guests only. Tom Staggs himself said:

"Guests who stay at non-Disney hotels will receive a ticket with features of touch to enter the park, touch to redeem, FastPass+ and touch to pay. These guests can participate in My Disney Experience and purchase a MagicBand if they wish."

Of course, Disney could change this plan, but why would they, I wonder?

PS I think WillCad and I were writing at the same time. I am not sure I completely understand his reason for thinking the paper FP machines would stay, but I do want to ask a couple questions. Why would Disney want to maintain completely separate but parallel systems for handling FPs? Fiscally, operating two separate systems doesn't make sense to me. Also, if everyone's FP time can now be stored in the "cloud," why would Disney want to continue to pay to print paper tickets? Am I missing something? I am not trying to be flip, genuinely wondering here.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk

My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsWDW 2000: POFQ. WDW 2003: AKL. WDW 2005: POR & WL. Grand Tour 2008: Italy, Croatia, Turkey, & Greece. Christmas 2011: HAL Southern Caribbean. WDW 2012: CBR. PNW Mouse Trek 2012: WDFM San Francisco. Anniversary 2012: HAL Alaska. Christmas 2012: Cape Town. SA 2013: Kruger, Blyde River Canyon, and Durban. SA 2014: Safari Tent Camping in Kruger.
sakana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:50 AM   #11 (permalink)
PassPorter Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakana View Post
PS I think WillCad and I were writing at the same time. I am not sure I completely understand his reason for thinking the paper FP machines would stay, but I do want to ask a couple questions. Why would Disney want to maintain completely separate but parallel systems for handling FPs? Fiscally, operating two separate systems doesn't make sense to me. Also, if everyone's FP time can now be stored in the "cloud," why would Disney want to continue to pay to print paper tickets? Am I missing something? I am not trying to be flip, genuinely wondering here.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk
Well, I never mentioned the paper slips specifically; I'm not sure whether they'll stay or go, long-term. But the paper slips, regardless of what else happens, do have a purpose - to give the Guest a tangible reciept for their FP reservation. Eventually, I think RFID kiosks will be all over the property, and Guests will be able to scan their ticket media to check their FP times anywhere - as well as be able to do that with smartphones. For the moment, however, I think the paper FP slips are still useful, to give the Guest a written reminder of when their FP window begins and ends.

And the "separate but parallel" thing would not be true. There are not really two systems; FP and FP+ are both the same system, you just get different entitlements based on whether you're a Magic band user or not.

I believe that FastPass and FastPass+ will work similar to the dining ADR system. On-site Guests can make dining ADRs at 180 days for a whole ten-day period, while off-site Guests have to call back each day - that's the 180+10 perk - but all ADRs are handled by the same computer, the same web site, and the same call center.

I think FastPass will eventually wrk the same. All FPs are issued by the same computer system; they HAVE TO be, in order to coordinate the return windows and keep the total number of people in the FP queues below the maximum per 15-minute block. The PLUS portion, I believe, would be that on-site Guests will have the option of making up to 3FP appointments per day, up to 180 days in advance of check-in. Off-site Guests, meanwhile, will be limited to one FP at a time, made same-day, just as in the current system. That's my guess.

As to whether Disney will eventually stop printing paper slips when an off-site Guest makes a same-day one-at-a-time FP appointment, I don't know. Probably yes, but probably not until RFID touch-screen kiosks become as ubiquitous as trash cans throughout WDW property. Which could be several years, because those things can't be cheap!

Last edited by WillCAD; 08-29-2013 at 10:00 AM..
Old 08-29-2013, 10:42 AM   #12 (permalink)
Eileeeeeeen!ô
PassPorter's Club Passholder

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Don't the current RFID Keys to the Kingdom cards still have a mag stripe on the back? (The last one I had which was quite a while ago now did have the mag stripe and the RFID piece.)

I would assume this is how the current dual-system is working during this test -- KTTK cards are used to get the FPs from the traditional machines.

It's my opinion, that the old FP machines will be retrofitted to accept RFID inputs for spitting out FPs.

Eileen
PassPorter guide for Feasting and Snacking: The Eateries and Planning Your Adventure: Your Plans
My Previous TripsSometime in the 70's with mom; 1990 honeymoon; 1994 trip with brother; 2002 Dec - POFQ; 2003 May - ASMovies; 2003 Oct - ASMovies; 2004 May - Pop; 2004 Sept - AKL; 2004 Nov - PORiverside; 2005 May - Grand Gathering #1; 2005 Dec - Mousefest w/Karen; 2006 March - DLR w/Karen; 2006 June - Beach Club w/Karen; 2006 Dec - Grand Gathering #2; 2007 Feb DLR Girls Trip; 2007 Dec - Appetizer trip/Mousfest w/CLT; 2008 Jun - CLT+2 meet the Koenigs; 2008 Dec - CLQ Broken Ankle Tribute; 2009 Mar - Unclenching at POFQ!; 2009 June - Sweating with Friends; 2009 Dec - Sousefest09; 2011 Dec - 3 to a bed; 2012 Jul - Even Eileen! (DLR)

Last edited by Caldercup; 09-01-2013 at 07:45 AM..
Caldercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:37 PM   #13 (permalink)
Community Rank: Sightseer

Thanks for all of the replies. I guess I will see when I get there! lol

I just picked my fast pass times this week, because that's the only time that I haven't been busy. I'm not sure if I could have picked them earlier, but it was just 1 week before we are leaving.

Theresa

dznylvr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:31 AM   #14 (permalink)
Community Rank: Visitor

Curious to see how your trip went.

I am going in Mid-October and have already received my Magic bands and made my fastpass+ reservations for the trip. I am staying at a DVC resort and using non-expiring paper tickets that still have a few days left on them. After some trouble I was able to get the paper tickets tied to the magicbands using the my magic experience app.

While I know that I will get a KTTW card, since I have paper tickets there normally would not be any park admission included on the card. So...

Does anyone know if I can use the old paper tickets to get the old paper fastpasses, and continue to use the bands for fastpass+? I kind of doubt it will work, since you normally have to use the paperticket to get into the park for it to be accepted at the fastpass machines. And if use the paper tickets for admission, there is the thought that the magic bands might not be enabled?

There are so many combinations, I'm not sure what my experience will be. Hoping to learn from other that have already gone to get an idea of what my options are!
pmcfad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:48 AM   #15 (permalink)
PassPorter Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcfad View Post
Curious to see how your trip went.

I am going in Mid-October and have already received my Magic bands and made my fastpass+ reservations for the trip. I am staying at a DVC resort and using non-expiring paper tickets that still have a few days left on them. After some trouble I was able to get the paper tickets tied to the magicbands using the my magic experience app.

While I know that I will get a KTTW card, since I have paper tickets there normally would not be any park admission included on the card. So...

Does anyone know if I can use the old paper tickets to get the old paper fastpasses, and continue to use the bands for fastpass+? I kind of doubt it will work, since you normally have to use the paperticket to get into the park for it to be accepted at the fastpass machines. And if use the paper tickets for admission, there is the thought that the magic bands might not be enabled?

There are so many combinations, I'm not sure what my experience will be. Hoping to learn from other that have already gone to get an idea of what my options are!
During the Magic Bands testing phase, those with MBs are still being issued KTTW cards as backup, because the MBs aren't yet usable everywhere, and there are still some glitches and bugs in the system. There have been several reports on PP that those backup KTTW cards can be used in the old-style FP machines, which are not connected to FP+.