Plus Size limits on rides? - PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel
PassPorter.com
Message Board Community
Home Florida - Walt Disney World Caribbean - Disney Cruise Line California - Disneyland Resort Anywhere and Everywhere! Travelers Store Community PassPorter's Club Help!
   Welcome!  |   Answers  |  Guidelines  |  Shorthands  |  Newsletters  |  Our Guides  |   Photos  | Login Problems  |  Help  |  Bookmark Us |  Follow Us on |
Search

Go Back   PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel > PassPorter's Walt Disney World Resort (Florida) > Touring the 'World': The Parks at Walt Disney World
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2004, 03:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Community Rank: Traveler

Plus Size limits on rides?

Not really sure if this is the place to post this question.

I am Plus Size and I love theme parks, we have a Six Flags less than a mile from our house, and we have season passes.

I am able to ride on most rides, but a few of them I don't fit into comfortably enough to ride them. SO I choose not to ride them. If I think I will fit, but I am unsure, I watch to see if any other Plus Size people are in front of me. If so, I see if they fit... <font color="blue"> </font>

Just wanted to know if anyone else who is of Plus Size, have any tips for me. I know my 6 year old will want me to ride on most of the rides with her, but I don't want to hurt her feelings if I can't.

TIA (Thanks in advance) for your replies!
discoverytoysinLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 04:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Community Rank: Wayfarer

Concierge Level: 1
Re: Plus Size limits on rides?

Glad to see you post this question-I will be anxiously awaiting the answers from people who have been there recently, although there is a good article on allearsnet.com (I think it is under travelling with disabilities or something like that. My dh, dd (a month younger than yours it looks like) and I are going to the World in August and I have the same concerns. Dh does not do many rides (especially the ones that leave the ground or go really fast and around) so I am the one that goes on the roller coasters, Splash Mountain, etc (and love it).
ecmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 04:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

I can tell you from experience that almost everyone can fit on most rides at the parks. If you are very tall and plentiful, you may have problems on some rides at Magic Kingdom (leg room is the problem). If you are +250 lbs, you may have a problem with Dumbo raising up and down. The turnstyles can be a bit tricky to maneuver in a few areas.
In AK, Triasorus (sp?) spin is very tight with 3 adults, the ride is constantly in motion so you're stuck if you aren't comfortable. Don't worry about being embarrased, ask questions, the CM's are very sensative to this issue. You are going to have a wonderful trip! I will be happy to answer any specific questions you have.
Mickey's old friend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 04:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
PassPorter's Club Passholder

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank: Explorer

Concierge Level: 7

Here's a link to Deb Will's site - she has a whole section dedicated to this exact problem WDW at Large

From everything I've seen and heard, Disney does a pretty good job at accomodating everyone. There are a few rides that may be a little more uncomfortable (Astro Orbitor, Goofy's Barnstormer to think of a few) but you should be able to safely ride most rides. Space Mountains cars are a little tight, but more so for tall people than wider people, there isn't much leg room.
CRCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 05:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Community Rank: Legend

Concierge Level: 7

I am a plus size woman, and have had no problem on any ride. And, no, I think I am bigger than you based on your picture. The hardest thing is my long legs. Have fun, and enjoy.
Teresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 09:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Community Rank: Sightseer

<font color="purple"> </font> First of all I would like to commend you for asking this question! It's not a comfortable topic to chat about! That being said, I agree with the other posters that you shouldn't encounter too many dilema's. WDW is, IMHO, the complete opposite of Six Flags. The imagineers who design these parks take in so much consideration for thier guests b/c it is important that everyone experiences the magic. I just read today about how CM could seriously be reprimanded for excepting a tip or money in exchange for lets say, a cut in line. While thats not the issue here, it is an example of the lengths that they go to so EVERYONE is treated equal!! Including the population that can ride thier rides! Anyway, have a great trip and stay proud of who you are! There is no doubt that you have helped a lot of people by posting!!
Tinkergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 06:53 AM   #7 (permalink)
Community Rank: Adventurer

I think it is the article on allearsnet.com that also has reviews and input from people of all different sizes and heights. Very few people have enough trouble to not be able to ride a ride.

On a trip to Cedar Point several years ago i went to ride that swinger thing with my oldest...I about died when my butt was too wide. I had to quickly step off, tell him to hang on and I would wait for him at the exit. He was scared for a minute and of course then was fine as he flew, but I was devastated that I had to jump up and leave him there. My butt wasn't that wide back then either!

I am currently following the "Body for Life" program so I might have less body when we go in November...I have determined though, that whatever size I am when I get there I am going to enjoy every minute! Even the waterparks my kids can't wait to enjoy.
HueyDeweyandLouiesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 08:16 AM   #8 (permalink)
Community Rank: Adventurer

This is a good question. I am a plus size lady I have visited WDW multiple times and although I do not partake of the more adventurous things like Space Mountain I have never had an issue with any of the rides to date. I agree that the CM's are sensitive and easy to ask so feel free if you are in doubt. You should have a great time.
Tig&Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 09:46 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks for all of the replies!

What a great group of friends....

<font color="blue"> </font>
discoverytoysinLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 03:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
Community Rank: Tourist

definitely check out the article on allearsnet.com. Even after reading it, I was a bit nervous until I got there. I was perfectly comfortable on all the rides. The only trouble I had was going thru turnstiles and that was only because I had the baby in a sling and he took up a lot of space. When DH had the baby in the sling, my large tushie went thru just fine! Have fun and don't worry. Disney exists for people of all sizes.
--H
HillPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 07:36 PM   #11 (permalink)
Community Rank: Scout

Hi Susan! Please check out the "Vacationing Your Way" forum, as we have dealt with this question many times; or, use the "search" feature at the top of the page and I'm sure you will come up with a lot.
The one ride that seems to be a "universal pain" for anyone over the age of 5 is AstroOrbiter. Most people have to be "peeled" out of that one!
stonewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 01:07 PM   #12 (permalink)

Great thread. I also have had issues at our local parks on some of the coasters. I am 5-7 but over 300 pounds (but working on it and doing well!!). In 2003 I had no issue on any of the coasters or Tower....one thing happened though...

While on Tower, we got the one car with the lap bar. My small daughter next to me bouced (to her joy) around like a ping pong ball with the lap bar stopped at my belly!! I think they may have changed that car now too from what I hear.

I fit OK into everything else -

Again, congrats for posing this. It is sensitive and always a fear of mine. I tried to get on the roller coaster at our Mall of America and wanted to crawl into a hole as the punks laughed when I had to get off because the bar would not go down to lock.

Like I said, I am working on this and will be smaller now in August than I was in 2003, but I have compassion for others and know this is a fear for many. Thanks to Disney for thinking of everyone!
Lyle & Jessica Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 06:50 PM   #13 (permalink)
Community Rank: Scout

I knew I liked this website! Everyone is so open and supportive! I think that this is a concern in the back of all of our plus-size minds, and it's nice to see that there are others feeling the same way, and that we too can have a great time at WDW!!
Stephanie
IdahoDisneyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 05:34 PM   #14 (permalink)
Community Rank: Wayfarer

I was very worried about this issue before our first trip to WDW in September 2001. I found that I could easily get on everything. Like others have mentioned the favt that i'm 5'9 was a bigger issue than my weight. My 6'5 husband had a even harder time. Watching him try to crawl out of the Goofy's barnstormer car after our ride was hysterical!! On our most recent trip in Dec. 2003 I was worried about mission space, since the cars looked very tight. Again it was no problem and I fit fine. I would also like to mention what a great board this is. I never thought I would be discussing my weight with a bunch of "strangers". But when you're talking to people who love disney, everyone seems like a friend!

Leigh
Disleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 07:20 AM   #15 (permalink)
Community Rank: Trekker

<font color="blue"> </font> We too have some problems on the rides due to our height. But the rides are usually short and having our knees in our chest for only a couple minutes at a time is nothing compared to the fun we have on the rides!
blondie is offline   Reply With Quote