Soarin and Motion sickness????? - PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel
PassPorter.com
Message Board Community
Home Florida - Walt Disney World Caribbean - Disney Cruise Line California - Disneyland Resort Anywhere and Everywhere! Travelers Store Community PassPorter's Club Help!
   Welcome!  |   Answers  |  Guidelines  |  Shorthands  |  Newsletters  |  Our Guides  |   Photos  | Login Problems  |  Help  |  Bookmark Us |  Follow Us on |
Search

Go Back   PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel > PassPorter's Walt Disney World Resort (Florida) > Touring the 'World': The Parks at Walt Disney World
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2005, 06:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Community Rank: Trekker

Soarin and Motion sickness?????

<font color="blue"> </font> How is Soarin if you are a person who tends toward mild motion sickness????
Which row is better for folks like us????

Noreen
DogLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 06:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Community Rank: Explorer

Re: Soarin and Motion sickness?????

I get some serious motion sickness (I've thrown up in some of the best places around the world...Rome was particularly bad! ) I have to drive, that's how bad mine is and I didn't have much problem at all. The first lift and a moment of visual 'woo-woo' and I was good for the duration. If you start to get iffy, it helps to look all around you. I really think the "hood" if you're 1st row, and the other rider's feet on the 2nd and 3rd rows give you brain enough of a message to keep it from getting bad. It is one of my new favorites!
graygables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 06:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

So i should get the 1st row???
You poor thing, i don't have it that bad. I can fly with no problems, better than driving.
Noreen
Old 08-04-2005, 06:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Batman's Gal/Mickey's Pal
PassPorter's Club Passholder

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank:
Legend VIP

Concierge Level: 6

I also get motion sick very, very easily, but had little problems on Soarin'. It's one of my favorites now too! Dawn's suggestion to look around is a very good idea.
Cam22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 06:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

How do you do on Test track???
Noreen
Old 08-04-2005, 06:47 PM   #6 (permalink)

I'm OK on test track...it's not long enough to make me sick. Mission Space worries me, so I'm not willing to even try that one.
graygables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 06:55 PM   #7 (permalink)

I am definitely skipping Mission Space, i am surprised you even considered it. The thrill seekers really love that ride.
Noreen
Old 08-04-2005, 09:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Community Rank: Traveler

Have you ever tried taking dramamine prior to getting on some of the rides? The rides I usually get a little queazy on are the star tours and this past trip I did not. We went to the park a few hours after our plane landed and I think I still had some of the dramamine in me...but as far as the Soaring ride..I did not get sick at all. Like someone stated earlier, look around. I think it is difficult not to look around because the picture moves and makes your eyes focus on different scenes. Plus there is a breeze, and that always helps.
Catey
catey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 09:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
Community Rank: Trailblazer

It's really not bad it's so beautiful I didn't even feel that much motion. The 3rd row is the one closest to the ground if that would make you feel better. This is an awesome ride!
DISNEYGOOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 08:43 AM   #10 (permalink)
Community Rank: Scout

i"m very prone to motion sickness and didn't have a bit of a problem on Soarin'. We were in the 3rd row.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 03:47 AM   #11 (permalink)
Community Rank: Traveler

I've always avoided Soarin' because of motion sickness but I rode it for the very first time in DL last month. I was in the row closest to the floor and it was quite an experience! Although the scenery was beautiful, I was queasy the entire ride. DH is more prone to motion sickness than I am so he waited for me. When I walked out, I had to sit down for about 15 minutes to get my bearing, and had to eat something to settle the stomach.

Even though I didn't feel good from the ride, I am so glad that I experienced it. I can't say that I would do it again, but I think it's one that you gotta do once.

I would never ever go on Mission Space or Star Tours since I know I would see breakfast or lunch on the ride. I rode Body Wars a long time ago in Epcot and I was sick for hours and hours. I don't even go to the circle-vision theaters! So if you're like me, Soarin' is manageable, and a definite must-do once!
Never Enough Mickeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 05:55 AM   #12 (permalink)

I get motion sickness on Star Tours and apparently I turned a beautiful shade of green after Body Wars. I felt fine on Soarin and had no problems at all.

Karen
BritDisFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 12:44 PM   #13 (permalink)

Concierge Level: 6

Instead of Dramamine I suggest Bonine. I have trouble with Dramamine, makes me way too sleepy. Bonine is a chewable tablet and it helps me on this ride and other motion type rides. I may have to close my eyes a bit, but it's worth it to enjoy this ride! Good Luck!
Grammy Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 03:55 PM   #14 (permalink)
Community Rank: Scout

You can also get the motion sickness patch (it used to be a prescription, not sure if that still is the case) and it is a little round 1 inch patch that goes behind your ear. My dad used it and said it works great, and everyone he recommends it to raves about it! So if you are really worried, that's another route as well.
Laughaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 06:34 PM   #15 (permalink)
Community Rank: Jetsetter

Those little patches are scopolamine patches. The brand name of the ones I use is Transderm Scop. They were only available by prescription yet this spring. They were taken off the market for awhile but I never found out why. I have used many forms of motion sickness prevention and this is the only one that really works for me. These things make feel like this instead of this when we fly.
AzureHaven is offline   Reply With Quote