difference in the passporter books? - PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel
PassPorter.com
Message Board Community
Home Florida - Walt Disney World Caribbean - Disney Cruise Line California - Disneyland Resort Anywhere and Everywhere! Travelers Store Community PassPorter's Club Help!
   Welcome!  |   Answers  |  Guidelines  |  Shorthands  |  Newsletters  |  Our Guides  |   Photos  | Login Problems  |  Help  |  Bookmark Us |  Follow Us on |
Search

Go Back   PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel > Welcome! > Using Your PassPorter: Tips and Answers
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 11:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Community Rank: Visitor

difference in the passporter books?

What are the real differences in the different verions of PassPorter? (PassPorter's Walt Disney World 2013 Spiral Guide, PassPorter's Walt Disney World 2013 Deluxe Starter Kit, PassPorter's Walt Disney World 2013 Collector's Edition) The Deluxe starter kit implies one needs to keep adding to it - why?
Thanks for help figuring out which one to buy!

Last edited by Belle*; 01-22-2013 at 08:06 AM.. Reason: newsletter01242013
Mickay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
PassPorter Message Board Manager

Community Rank:
Legend VIP

Concierge Level: 3
Hi and welcome to the boards!

With the deluxe edition, it comes in a binder, with a leather cover, which I love. Once you have it, then you order the deluxe refill every year, which is what I do. I've found it to be a great investment and I much prefer it to the spiral guide.

Enjoying time in beautiful Verona on our Italy road trip. The trip reports for our cruise on the Magic around Greece and Turkey and a day out in Paris are now complete.

I'm Cheryl and I'm the author of PassPorter's Walt Disney World for British Holidaymakers and the co-author of PassPorter's Disney Vacation Club Guide I'm also one of the PassPorter guides for the Disney Vacation Club, Eateries, Globetrotting, Globetrotting Trip Reports, Disneyland Resort Paris and Disneyland Trip Reports forums.
My Countdown Counting down to: Our wedding anniversary
11 days, 15 hours, 24 minutes
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsDisney: 17 trips to WDW, 5 to Disneyland in California, 7 to Disneyland Paris, 1 to Hong Kong Disneyland, 1 to Tokyo Disney, 1 to Aulani, 1 to Hilton Head, 2 to Vero Beach and 6 Disney cruises on the Magic, Wonder, Dream and Fantasy to the Caribbean (three times), Alaska (once) and the Mediterranean (twice). Non-Disney (because otherwise I can't keep track...): American cities (Boston, Chicago, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, New York, Philadelphia, San Diego, San Francisco, Washington DC), American National Parks (Arches, Bryce Canyon, Canyonlands, Death Valley, Everglades, Grand Canyon, Grand Tetons, Virgin Islands, Yellowstone, Yosemite, Zion), Hawaii (Oahu, Kauai, Maui and Big Island) and Europe (England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Ireland, France, Spain (including Tenerife, Lanzarote and Mallorca), Germany, Belgium, Switzerland, Austria, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Monaco, Finland, Norway and Sweden)
chezp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
PassPorter Author

PassPorter's Club Passholder
What's this?

Community Rank: Explorer

Concierge Level: 6
Welcome to PassPorter!

The fundamental difference between the Spiral Edition and Deluxe Edition is the binding style. The contents - the paper covers (which have maps and other info printed on the inside), guidebook text, plus 14 organizer pockets - are identical in both. The Spiral Edition has a plastic coil binding. The Deluxe Edition adds the benefits of a looseleaf binder.

The vast majority of our readers buy the Spiral Edition. I recommend it for first-time PassPorter readers. If you use the Spiral and start wishing, "If only I could customize this, like my File O Fax/Franklin Planner..." you're a candidate for the Deluxe.

The Deluxe Edition has all the advantages of a ring binder - you can add/remove pages, customize the way pages are organized, re-use the binder for subsequent editions, etc. The Deluxe binder is part of a system - you can buy additional sets of organizer pockets, guidebook cover and text.

The Spiral Edition is lighter and more compact than the Deluxe Edition

*The Spiral Edition has the complete guidebook text, covers, and 14 organizer pockets

*The Deluxe Starter Kit has the complete guidebook text, covers, and 14 organizer pockets, plus the 6-ring binder

*The Deluxe Refill Kit has the complete guidebook text, covers, and 14 organizer pockets in looseleaf format, with holes that fit in the 6-ring binder (assumes you already have the binder)

*Deluxe Looseleaf Text has the complete guidebook text and covers, but no organizer pockets, designed to fit the deluxe ring binder.

*14-pocket set is the same organizer pockets you get with the Deluxe Starter Kit and Deluxe Refill Kit, designed to fit the deluxe ring binder.

*5-pocket set is 5 generic organizer pockets for folks who take longer vacations or need a few special-purpose pockets.

*Collector's Edition combines a Deluxe Starter Kit, an additional 14 organizer pockets, a drawstring bag (the type some folks use as day packs), the special discount coupon, and personalized autograph.

Co-Author, PassPorter's Walt Disney World, PassPorter's Disney Cruise Line, and PassPorter's Disneyland and Southern California Attractions

http://www.passporter.com/
My Countdown Counting down to: Disney Magic Post-Drydock
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsToo many to recall!

Last edited by Belle*; 01-22-2013 at 08:06 AM.. Reason: newsletter01242013
Dave Marx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Community Rank: Trekker

Concierge Level: 3
Another vote for the Deluxe! Some of my favorite things:
--You have all the normal content while you're planning, but then you can easily take out the pages you don't need once you are ready to go on your trip. For example, I typically remove the pages for any resorts other than the one we're staying at and any we plan to visit (for character meals, etc). I can always put them back in once we get home, but it's nice not to have all the extra content to drag around and flip past on the trip.
--I love the pockets inside the binder! Very handy for all sorts of stuff!
--I like to be able to add extra things, such as the custom worksheets you can get if you're a Passporter's Club member, but I don't want loose sheets that will get lost. The Deluxe binder lets me keep everything together and safe in its spot.
--The binder provides a little extra protection against sprinkles and splashes, versus the cardboard cover on the spiral book.
--Sometimes, I just want to pull out a few pages and/or an envelope and take them with me. For example, if I'm headed to a waterpark or mini-golf, I need my daily schedule and my envelope (for receipts, maps, etc.), but I really don't want to take the whole book. With the Deluxe, it's easy to pull out just what I need, then put those pages back later.

"I am purple today; Bright and happy like a butterfly in the air." -Kira Willey

My Countdown Counting down to: Fall Break 2012
Mouse-time!
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsPrevious Trips: 1st Visit--Appx. 1983 (5-6 visits as child), off-site; April 2004--My family, my sister and her DH, Pop Century; May 2008--Mom's retirement trip (my family, parents, sister and fam, brother and girlfriend), POR; March 2009--1st trip without kids!, 10th anniv trip with DH, CBR
happyhedgehogs is offline   Reply With Quote