Is It True Disney Is Getting Rid of Guest Assistance Cards? - PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel
PassPorter.com
Message Board Community
Home Florida - Walt Disney World Caribbean - Disney Cruise Line California - Disneyland Resort Anywhere and Everywhere! Travelers Store Community PassPorter's Club Help!
   Welcome!  |   Answers  |  Guidelines  |  Shorthands  |  Newsletters  |  Our Guides  |   Photos  | Login Problems  |  Help  |  Bookmark Us |  Follow Us on |
Search

Go Back   PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel > PassPorter Universe: General Trip Planning and Discussion > Vacationing Your Way: Your Special Needs
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2011, 06:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Community Rank: Day-Tripper

Is It True Disney Is Getting Rid of Guest Assistance Cards?

I used it the last time I was in Disney and it was an absolute lifesaver. A wheelchair won't help in my situation. I suffer from syncope. I had read on another board somewhere that someone was denied assistance because they no longer had the program.
Poohfan31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 06:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Community Rank: Adventurer

Haven't heard anything as of yet. I will find out on Saturday when I go to get my GAC and upgrade to an AP.
Finally totally in our new house.
My Previous TripsCountless Saturdays at Disneyland (Premium AP) 9/12 Disneyland Hotel,10/12 VGC WDW 7/05 All Star Movies 12/06 All Star Movies 12/10 ASMO/CBR 4/11 POFQ Spring Break with our friends 8/11 OKw/AKL DVC stay
Disney4us2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 06:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks - I actually just called Disney and they said they haven't gotten rid of the program! Phew!
Old 04-10-2011, 10:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tigger's Bestest Fan
PassPorter's Club Passholder

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank: Navigator

Concierge Level: 7
They would have way too many guest issues if they did get rid of it. The GAC is the only thing that allows some guests to truly be able to experience the magic of Disney.

Check out the Passporter Blog

Pam J.
Guide to Vacationing Your Way: Your Special Needs
My Countdown Counting down to:
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsWDW 1989 OP; WDW July 2007 Coronado Springs & OP; WDW 2009 Caribbean Beach
PamelaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 11:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank: Explorer

Concierge Level: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaK View Post
They would have way too many guest issues if they did get rid of it. The GAC is the only thing that allows some guests to truly be able to experience the magic of Disney.
Totally agree Pam ..

Merry
Eeyore Tattoo's Bio
"Vacationing Your Way: Your Special Needs" Forum & DL: Southern California Attractions
My Countdown Counting down to: WDW Here we come with Merry
101 days, 23 hours, 33 minutes
My Previous TripsCBR: May 1999, CBR:October 2001 Disneyland: June 2002, CSR: October: 2003, POR: May 2005, POFQ: Dec-Jan 2005-2006, POFQ: May 2007, POR :Dec. 2007, Disneyland:May 2008, Mousefest: Dec. 2008 Disneyland: June 2009 AKL Savanna: Oct. 2009 December Gathering BLT: Dec. 2009 BLT Oct. 2010 Paradise Pier Aug. 2011 BLT Nov. 2011 Disneyland/California Adventure 2013 AKV May 2013
Eeyore Tattoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 11:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Community Rank: Wayfarer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaK View Post
I definitely agree. We used this last year for my 81 year old grandmother and she has a spine condition that only allows her to stand for so long. It really helped her be able to do a lot of different things while we were there.
That's So Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 01:43 AM   #7 (permalink)

Maybe they were talking about Disneyland, because if I am not wrong they did get rid of it. Glad to hear they (WDW) still have it and I can use it in May!!!

Tessa Tilli
My Countdown Counting down to: [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
See ya real soon!!!
My Previous Trips2005 all stars movies, 2006 all stars sports, 2007 pop century, 2008 all stars movies, 2009 music, 2010 POFQ, 2011 POFQ
tessatilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 03:01 AM   #8 (permalink)

They had it at Disneyland last month when I got mine. I can't see them discontinuing it at Disneyland, too many need it there as well as WDW.
Finally totally in our new house.
My Previous TripsCountless Saturdays at Disneyland (Premium AP) 9/12 Disneyland Hotel,10/12 VGC WDW 7/05 All Star Movies 12/06 All Star Movies 12/10 ASMO/CBR 4/11 POFQ Spring Break with our friends 8/11 OKw/AKL DVC stay
Disney4us2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 03:34 AM   #9 (permalink)

What's this?

Community Rank: Globetrotter

I saw a post on this site that said Disneyland got rid of GAC last year but it is not true, it is a lifesaver and easy for me to get around the parks since I park the scooter then walk on rides. It was a mouse sized mistake, GAC will be here until a better system can be made if possible. Microchips?

She is gone but keeping signature. Laundry is getting done. My purpose in life is to help poor people in FL. Farewell, will miss you.
My Countdown Counting down to: Laurie's Birthday
Happy Birthday and may you have a grand day.
My Previous TripsWDW, DLR for 50 years, NYC, San Antonio, Midwest, Catalina Island, San Diego, Vegas, lots of places I have been. I have seen the Atlantic Ocean over 20 times and never been in it.
mechurchlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:48 AM   #10 (permalink)
Tigger's Bestest Fan

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank: Navigator

The thing about GACs is that they help those guests that do not have an "obvious" need for them, i.e. guests with hidden disabilities like autism, bad back, anxiety, etc.

For Disney to get rid of something that helps such a large segment of their customer base would be detrimental to their bottom line. Disney has a reputation for being extremely disability friendly and the GAC is one of the main components of that reputation. They are not going to damage that reputation without having a much better alternative already in place.

Check out the Passporter Blog

Pam J.
Guide to Vacationing Your Way: Your Special Needs
My Countdown Counting down to:
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsWDW 1989 OP; WDW July 2007 Coronado Springs & OP; WDW 2009 Caribbean Beach
PamelaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:59 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessatilli View Post
Maybe they were talking about Disneyland, because if I am not wrong they did get rid of it. Glad to hear they (WDW) still have it and I can use it in May!!!
Wait! Why get rid of it in Disneyland if it would still cause a controversial issue there? Maybe because more people go to Disney World?
Old 04-11-2011, 11:09 AM   #12 (permalink)

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

I really doubt it will be removed from Disneyland

Merry
Eeyore Tattoo's Bio
"Vacationing Your Way: Your Special Needs" Forum & DL: Southern California Attractions
My Previous TripsCBR: May 1999, CBR:October 2001 Disneyland: June 2002, CSR: October: 2003, POR: May 2005, POFQ: Dec-Jan 2005-2006, POFQ: May 2007, POR :Dec. 2007, Disneyland:May 2008, Mousefest: Dec. 2008 Disneyland: June 2009 AKL Savanna: Oct. 2009 December Gathering BLT: Dec. 2009 BLT Oct. 2010 Paradise Pier Aug. 2011 BLT Nov. 2011 Disneyland/California Adventure 2013 AKV May 2013
Old 04-11-2011, 08:44 PM   #13 (permalink)

Remember that anyone can post anything on an internet based forum...but until anything is officially confirmed by the actual companies themselves, I wouldn't put much weight in it. I work in an industry that is plagued with internet based rumours causing a whole ton of mis-information and get to deal with people on a daily basis who put way too much weight into things they read.....I love teaching my daughters that reading is an important gift, and they both love to read, but I'm also teaching them they shouldn't believe everything they read, and to question and verify things, because anyone can print anything.

The internet is a great place...sometimes

Tim
Tim Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:56 PM   #14 (permalink)

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

You are right Tim, This is one reason I like to add the
"Call WDW & fact check to be sure"

Merry
Eeyore Tattoo's Bio
Old 04-12-2011, 01:53 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore Tattoo View Post
You are right Tim, This is one reason I like to add the
"Call WDW & fact check to be sure"
...and thats exactly what I did!