Heads up on WDW 'disability etiquette pamphlet' - PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel
PassPorter.com
Message Board Community
Home Florida - Walt Disney World Caribbean - Disney Cruise Line California - Disneyland Resort Anywhere and Everywhere! Travelers Store Community PassPorter's Club Help!
   Welcome!  |   Answers  |  Guidelines  |  Shorthands  |  Newsletters  |  Our Guides  |   Photos  | Login Problems  |  Help  |  Bookmark Us |  Follow Us on |
Search

Go Back   PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel > PassPorter Universe: General Trip Planning and Discussion > Vacationing Your Way: Your Special Needs
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2012, 12:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Community Rank: Adventurer

Heads up on WDW 'disability etiquette pamphlet'

A poster on another site reported that as she drove her own power wheelchair in the turnstiles at Epcot yesterday, a Cast Member handed her a pamphlet outlining 'courtesy rules' and guidelines for guests with mobility devices. It included things like not speeding, not following too close to walking guests, watching out for walking guests, etc.

She was upset reading it because she felt singled out because she is disabled (there were no 'courtesy handouts' given to guests who walked in. She asked a CM why guests with mobility devices were being singled and was told that guests ith mobility devices needed the information.

The woman who got the pamphlet gave it to her husband, who was also upset and threw it away. After thinking about it, she wished she had kept a copy so that she had it when she complains.

Just letting you all know so you will not be surprised.
SueM loves WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 01:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Community Rank: Jetsetter

Assuming that actually happened (I've learned to take things reported online with large doses of salt) that's horrible & incredibly insulting. Even though I'm not handicapped/disabled (for which I'm incredibly grateful) I find that offensive. Accidents happen, we (& I mean everyone handicapped or not) don't always pay as much attention to where we're going or our surroundings as we should & children & adults sometimes seem to materialize out of thin air right in front of us. If people being hit by wheelchairs/ecv's is a big enough problem that Disney feels the need to do something about than Disney needs to find a way to address that but not the way they did assuming it was Disney & not just a single cm taking it upon themselves to do something they felt needed doing. I'm thinking an announcement being played periodically at the entrance reminding guests to be courteous, careful, pay attention to what & who is around them & to please not run or speed would work & not single any one person or group of people out.

My Previous TripsDL not sure probably 20+ DW ASMu December 07-17, 2007 ASMu January 26-February 03, 2009 POR February 01-09, 2010
revral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 03:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
PassPorter's Club Passholder

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank: Explorer

Concierge Level: 6
Wow I would like to see this first hand. Funny thing is I have almost run down walkers because they aren't aware of their surroundings.

Merry
Eeyore Tattoo's Bio
"Vacationing Your Way: Your Special Needs" Forum & DL: Southern California Attractions
My Previous TripsCBR: May 1999, CBR:October 2001 Disneyland: June 2002, CSR: October: 2003, POR: May 2005, POFQ: Dec-Jan 2005-2006, POFQ: May 2007, POR :Dec. 2007, Disneyland:May 2008, Mousefest: Dec. 2008 Disneyland: June 2009 AKL Savanna: Oct. 2009 December Gathering BLT: Dec. 2009 BLT Oct. 2010 Paradise Pier Aug. 2011 BLT Nov. 2011 Disneyland/California Adventure 2013 AKV May 2013
Eeyore Tattoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 03:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Hmmm. I agree with Revral that we may not have enough details and facts to really evaluate this situation. LEt's wait until we actually have a chance to see this document before commenting on what it contains.

I imagine if Disney decided to create a hand-out (which I have not seen) that it is in the interest of safely for guests on and off wheels. IT is a shame that a few careless guests on wheels might have brought about a need for something like this. It is really sad that guests on wheels who make wise choices might feel singled out.

Can anyone get us a copy of this document?

co-leader_for_Sunday_Night_Disney_Trivia_Chat

Here's my free special needs ebook.
Navigating_Disney

Sandra Bostwick
My Previous TripsToo many to count!

Last edited by Sandra Bostwick; 03-04-2012 at 04:04 PM..
Sandra Bostwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 03:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore Tattoo View Post
Wow I would like to see this first hand. Funny thing is I have almost run down walkers because they aren't aware of their surroundings.
HEY! Are you talking about me! You know I like the scenery!

Navigating_Disney

Sandra Bostwick
Old 03-04-2012, 04:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

One of the reasons I wrote this is so that people can be prepared for it if they are given a pamphlet and save it.
The person who reported it on another site is a frequent poster there and is usually very reliable. But, because she was upset and unprepared, she threw the pamphlet away.
The next person will hopefully be prepared and not throw it away.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:42 PM   #7 (permalink)

Interesting. I agree that EVERYONE going through the turnstiles could benefit from reading some rules on touring-- walking sideways or backwards without looking, stopping suddenly, attempting to run around scooters or wheelchairs, stepping over strollers and wheelchairs. etc. While it's true that many people using rental equipment are not very experienced with them, I would guess that more accidents are caused or nearly caused by pedestrians not paying attention. I, too, would like to see the pamphlet.

My Previous TripsMost recent WDW trip 2/14; Most recent DLR trip 7/12; Most recent DCL trip 7/12 Alaska Wonder
lauriep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueM loves WDW View Post
One of the reasons I wrote this is so that people can be prepared for it if they are given a pamphlet and save it.
The person who reported it on another site is a frequent poster there and is usually very reliable. But, because she was upset and unprepared, she threw the pamphlet away.
The next person will hopefully be prepared and not throw it away.
Thanks for the heads-up Sue. We have a guide in the parks who is going to get us this document.

Navigating_Disney

Sandra Bostwick
Old 03-04-2012, 07:56 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauriep View Post
Interesting. I agree that EVERYONE going through the turnstiles could benefit from reading some rules on touring-- walking sideways or backwards without looking, stopping suddenly, attempting to run around scooters or wheelchairs, stepping over strollers and wheelchairs. etc. While it's true that many people using rental equipment are not very experienced with them, I would guess that more accidents are caused or nearly caused by pedestrians not paying attention. I, too, would like to see the pamphlet.
I agree.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
Community Rank: Trekker

Concierge Level: 7
I'm interested in seeing the pamphlet.

We Turned Her Into A Disney Lovin', Character Huggin', Thrill Ridin' Girl!l My First TR!

~Tabitha~
My Countdown Counting down to: Our Next Trip to the World!
82 days, 1 hours, 16 minutes
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsFirst trip to WDW 1985, WDW Dec. 1991, WDW June 1997, Honeymoon WDW Dec. 1998, Cruise Oct. 1999, WDW Dec. 2000, Cruise Oct. 2003,WDW Dec. 2004 First trip with Son, WDW Oct. 2005, WDW Dec. 2005, WDW and Cruise Sept. 2006 First trip with Daughter, WDW First time staying on Property POR 1/28/12-2/4/12!
Tabitha34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:38 PM   #11 (permalink)
Community Rank: Scout

Concierge Level: 5
So this opens up a can of worms...

What about the big groups of tourists who suddenly stop in the middle of the walkway?
What about strollers being pushed by those who are also unaware (pre-occupied with the scenery)?
What about those people who suddenly cut in front of those on ECVs or wheelchair users?
What about small, excited children who escape from their guardians and cause ECV users to suddenly turn?
Seems like all guests need to show consideration so maybe a sign at the entrance or a hazard logo on the park map would be a better idea...

Our recent trip to DLP means we have now visited every park worldwide TWICE!
Now I'm working on sailing each of the cruise ships...
My Countdown Counting down to: Disneyland 2015
398 days, 22 hours, 16 minutes
My Previous TripsDLR 1995, DLP 1998, DLR 1998, DLR 2002, WDW 2005, WDW 2006, WDW 2008, TDR 2010, HKDL 2010,WDW 2011,TDR 2012,HKDL 2012, DLP and Magic cruise 2013
Tigger71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:17 AM   #12 (permalink)

What's this?

Community Rank: Globetrotter

I went to Epcot last night and did not get a brochure. I had one guest turn around and walk right into me so I joked and it was ok. I see people so excited about things that they do not see kids let alone anything like trees and light poles, lol. I did get some rude people who will not yield to a scooter let alone anyone else. I joke a lot to put people at ease.

It they gave me that type of brochure I would have thrown a Disabled Card at them and snarled that is was prejudiced. At Disneyland last week I was blocking traffic to let parents through a crowd. It is hard for parents with toddlers who get hit by guests who are only interested in getting ahead of others.

If there is something out there then it could be a misunderstanding or it could be real. Miss you Sue, Mom is gone, wish you had wrote me for details, using everything you taught me, hugs tight.

She is gone but keeping signature. Laundry is getting done. My purpose in life is to help poor people in FL. Farewell, will miss you.
My Countdown Counting down to: Laurie's Birthday
Happy Birthday and may you have a grand day.
My Previous TripsWDW, DLR for 50 years, NYC, San Antonio, Midwest, Catalina Island, San Diego, Vegas, lots of places I have been. I have seen the Atlantic Ocean over 20 times and never been in it.
mechurchlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:15 AM   #13 (permalink)

If in fact this panphelt does exist, that is extremely discriminatory. I have Spina Bifida and I use a wheelchair full time. When I was at California Adventure this past summer I had people literally climbing over me when i was in my assigned FP seating for World of Color. Why don't we hand out panphlets to those people and the people who don't watch where they are going and end up tripping over me or to the people who suddenly stop as you're walking behind them causing me to almost run into their ankles! I've never had problems with Disney and have found them above and beyond accomodating when it comes to accessibilty. Busch Gardens on the other hand....gives me heartburn every time i go there since they seem to change their minds every time i go what rides THEY think i should be able to ride.
sunshinetaradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:33 AM   #14 (permalink)
Pax
Community Rank: Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra Bostwick View Post
IT is a shame that a few careless guests on wheels might have brought about a need for something like this.
What's even sadder is? I'm 100% certain that careless walking guests are responsible for at least as many incidents, as careless riding guests. Indeed, I remember being somewhat careless once myself (though I learned my lesson), turning away from a cart selling merchandise and back into the stream of traffic without looking first (I was trying to get around another guest to a different cart). I put a foot in front of an ECV, and nearly got it run over - thankfully the woman riding it was fast on the brakes. (To my credit, when she tried to apologise I insisted, correctly, that it was MY fault for not looking where I was going.)

A brief audio skit pumped over the PAs in random areas, at modest intervals, might help with "blissfully unaware" stuff like that. Mickey and Goofy run into each other; maybe Donald chiming in with a "what's the hold up, get movin'" over the delay .... and then neatly segueing into a gentle reminder to be aware of the people around you, be patient, and try not to run into each other. Just a few minutes, once an hour; enough to keep it in the back of everyone's mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauriep View Post
Yep, see my comment above. I was so focussed on the merchandise (Pins, actually), that I didn't pay enough attention to people passing by, and nearly got my foot run over for it.

I stayed much more aware for the rest of our trip, mind you.
Pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:52 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pax View Post
A brief audio skit pumped over the PAs in random areas, at modest intervals, might help with "blissfully unaware" stuff like that. Mickey and Goofy run into each other; maybe Donald chiming in with a "what's the hold up, get movin'" over the delay .... and then neatly segueing into a gentle reminder to be aware of the people around you, be patient, and try not to run into each other. Just a few minutes, once an hour; enough to keep it in the back of everyone's mind.
I like the idea of PSA's made by the characters! These could be added to the tape played on the Magical Express buses as well as on the resort TV loop.

My Previous TripsMost recent WDW trip 2/14; Most recent DLR trip 7/12; Most recent DCL trip 7/12 Alaska Wonder
lauriep is online now   Reply With Quote