Special Needs Forum Introductions - PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel
PassPorter.com
Message Board Community
Home Florida - Walt Disney World Caribbean - Disney Cruise Line California - Disneyland Resort Anywhere and Everywhere! Travelers Store Community PassPorter's Club Help!
   Welcome!  |   Answers  |  Guidelines  |  Shorthands  |  Newsletters  |  Our Guides  |   Photos  | Login Problems  |  Help  |  Bookmark Us |  Follow Us on |
Search

Go Back   PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel > PassPorter Universe: General Trip Planning and Discussion > Vacationing Your Way: Your Special Needs
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2012, 09:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
PassPorter's Club Passholder

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank: Explorer

Concierge Level: 6
Special Needs Forum Introductions

Hello, and welcome!

This is a thread where new (and not-so-new) special-needs travel members can introduce themselves and share a little bit so we can get to know you.

Welcome Blakesgma!

co-leader_for_Sunday_Night_Disney_Trivia_Chat

Here's my free special needs ebook.
Navigating_Disney

Sandra Bostwick
My Previous TripsToo many to count!
Sandra Bostwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:39 AM   #2 (permalink)

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

I am Deb, Guide here "Special Needs" I live in Texas..
You can click my Bio to learn more..

Merry
Eeyore Tattoo's Bio
"Vacationing Your Way: Your Special Needs" Forum & DL: Southern California Attractions
My Previous TripsCBR: May 1999, CBR:October 2001 Disneyland: June 2002, CSR: October: 2003, POR: May 2005, POFQ: Dec-Jan 2005-2006, POFQ: May 2007, POR :Dec. 2007, Disneyland:May 2008, Mousefest: Dec. 2008 Disneyland: June 2009 AKL Savanna: Oct. 2009 December Gathering BLT: Dec. 2009 BLT Oct. 2010 Paradise Pier Aug. 2011 BLT Nov. 2011 Disneyland/California Adventure 2013 AKV May 2013
Eeyore Tattoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:53 AM   #3 (permalink)

This is a great idea, so we can feel more comfortable with each other and find folks with similar concerns.

I'm Sandra, a youth services librarian in Virginia in my early 60's, with a diabetic husband, and an adult son with autism. Both my husband and myself have mobility issues, his being more severe than mine. We have been to WDW nearly 20 times, mostly staying on site, which we prefer both for the magic and the convenience. We'll be back at WDW again November 25!

Nik & his favorite guy Goofy at DHS Osborne Lights
Sandra in Northern VA
My Countdown Counting down to: Our next stay at All Star Music with free dining!
8 days, 0 hours, 33 minutes
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsOff-site 1972, 1973, 1975, 1984, 1985, 1988. All Star Music 2001-2012; Swan 2011. All Star Movies 2013.
yalibrarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Community Rank: Adventurer

Concierge Level: 7
Great thread!

Hi
I'm Karen, from Long Island, NY. I'm legally blind since birth with a condition called Achromatopsia. I also have a digestive disease called Ulcerative Colitis, which I was diagnosed with in November 2006.

I've been a huge fan of everything Disney my whole life. I've been to Disney World once so far. My first trip was in February 2012, 3 weeks after my 25th birthday. And I'm going back for my second trip in February 2013.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

Concierge Level: 3
Hi everyone I'm Darlene and I have food intolerances which were diagnosed only a few years ago. I'm mom to Abby - who's 12 and Autistic - and married to Lenny - who has health problems which include cardiac disease and arthritis in his back, knees and hips (which he's already has surgery for). I work for one of the school cafeteria's here where we live and absolutely love Disney. Right now we're hoping to get back next summer.

Celebrating Lenny's birthday at Epcot August 2014

Looking for all of my previous reports? Click my TR link.

Our FROZEN filled TR UPDATED 10/13 POSTS 258 & 259

My Previous TripsAll WDW - July 1980 off property - July 1981 FW - July 1983 FW - July 1985 FW - August 1987 FW - July 1988 Treehouse Villas - July 1990 Treehouse Villas - July 1997 FW - August 2006 AS Sports, 1st time with DH and DD - August 2008 AS Sports - August 2009 AS Sports - August 2010 AS Sports - July 2011 AS Sports - August 2013 AS Music - August 2014 AS Music
CinderAbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 02:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Community Rank: Trekker

mom to 3 princesses and 1 prince's Avatar

I have four children, including DS17, who has cerebral palsy. He is in a wheelchair, has a feeding tube, is non-verbal, and has asthma. One of the reasons I love going back to WDW so often is because of my son.

I have so many wonderful stories of the way CMs have treated my son like a VIP. We are going in June to celebrate my son's 18th birthday. We recently purchased DVC, so it will be our first trip home as a family! Can't wait.

The view from our patio at Old Key West

My Countdown Counting down to: WDW for Thanksgiving, followed by our first Disney cruise
25 days, 23 hours, 33 minutes
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsContemporary Nov 1980, Village June 1986, DLR July 1999, off-site May 2001, Beach Club Villas Jan 2007, ASMu Sept 2007, Poly May 2008, ASMu Sept 2008, Pop July 2009, BLT Oct 2009, Pop Dec 2009, AS Sports Jan 2010, Pop Aug 2010, POFQ Jan 2011, Pop Apr 2011, DLR Sep 2011, SoG Jan 2012, Kidani Feb 2012, BWV Jan 2013 (first DVC trip!), BCV/OKW June 2013, VWL/BLT Feb 2014

Last edited by mom to 3 princesses and 1 prince; 10-17-2012 at 02:50 PM..
mom to 3 princesses and 1 prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

I'm Laurie and I'm retired-- which gives me more time to dream, plan and go on Disney trips! I have a degenerative muscle disease and use a mobility scooter. I started going to WDW as an adult, before my mobility issues kicked in, and fell in love with it immediately. If possible, I love it even more now because it's so easy to get around and there's nothing I can't do there. I'm a ride wimp so there are lots of things I WON'T do, but I could if I wanted to!

My Previous TripsMost recent WDW trip 2/14; Most recent DLR trip 7/12; Most recent DCL trip 7/12 Alaska Wonder
lauriep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

I'm Stefani and I am a stay-at-home-mom, and soon to be homeschooling my two children. My DD12 has sensory integration dysfunction, AD/HD, anxiety, and PDD-NOS. My DS9 has high-functioning autism, sensory integration and an unspecified mood disorder.

We have been to WDW as a family 4 times, and DLR 2 times. We love Disney because it seems to be the one and only place we can go that we can really enjoy being a family. At home it is so hectic with routines, schoolwork and chores that it can feel overwhelming. In Disney, with proper planning, we are able to have fun, laugh and play a lot more. We have tried local amusement parks, but they are chaotic and it turns into a nightmare. Disney never feels to us like we are in a park, it feels like we are in a magical world.

The 4/25/1/8/2000+ TR (Sept. 7-14, 2013)
Surf & Turf 2014! (February 22-March 6, 2014)
My Countdown Counting down to: Disney Studios Tour/Disneyland 2014
14 days, 22 hours, 33 minutes
My Previous TripsDLR twice before I turned 5 (don't know exact dates but 1974-78 - off property) - DLR 1990 (off property) - WDW June 1992 (off property) - WDW July 2003 (off property) - WDW May 2007 (Animal Kingdom Lodge) - DLR June 2008 (Disneyland Hotel) - WDW Nov. 2008 (Boardwalk Villas) - WDW Jan. 2010 (Animal Kingdom Villas Kidani) - DLR Oct. 2011 (Disneyland Hotel/Grand Californian Villas) - DLR Feb. 2012 (Grand Californian Villas) - WDW April 2013 (Animal Kingdom Villas - Jambo Club Level) - WDW Sept. 2013 (Old Key West) - DCL Feb. 2014 (Dream-Bahamas) - WDW Feb./Mar. 2014 (Beach Club Villas)
TuffyCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:53 PM   #9 (permalink)

My name is Dot, hence the username.

I'm gluten and dairy intolerant so adore WDW for keeping me from yielding to temptation and eating things I shouldn't.

DH is walking disabled due to badly breaking both legs some years ago, so he needs a scooter at WDW. We only go about every five years to be able to afford to stay in the monorail deluxes as a result. We both hate how long it sometimes takes to load and secure a scooter on the buses. So much easier to roll up or down the monorail ramp with a scooter.

That's our issues which make WDW truly magical for the ease of accommodating our needs that we've experienced there.
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsWDW 11/2013--GF; WDW 1/2010--GF; WDW 7/2004--CR Tower// DH to WDW several times in the 1970's & 1984; Me DL 1969.
Her Dotness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:05 PM   #10 (permalink)

Hi, I am Karen. from southern Illinois. I have two boys(22 and 16) who have/are homeschooled. My husband, Wayne preaches for a small contry church. Our upcoming trip will be our fifth time to Disney(Disney addict for years before my first trip). This will be my first trip to Disney where I am using a scooter due to a knee injury/arthritis this past summer(the injured leg is still having swelling and doesn't let me stand/walk long). I have improved to where I can walk with a cart in a regular grocery store but not a Super Walmart. Please let me say how much I have appreciated all the advice and information I have received about this. I was really at the point of cancelling our trip until I read so many of your posts.
Pretty Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:48 PM   #11 (permalink)

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Suddenly I wish there was a "like"button here!

I very much enjoyed hearing about all of you. I didn't realize how, after all this time together, there was alot that I didn't know!

We have a great bunch!

Navigating_Disney

Sandra Bostwick
Old 10-18-2012, 10:17 PM   #12 (permalink)

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra Bostwick View Post
Suddenly I wish there was a "like"button here!

I very much enjoyed hearing about all of you. I didn't realize how, after all this time together, there was alot that I didn't know!

We have a great bunch!
Yes, I was looking for a "like" button too!'
P.S. YES that's me front & center in Sandy's sig picture

Merry
Eeyore Tattoo's Bio
"Vacationing Your Way: Your Special Needs" Forum & DL: Southern California Attractions
My Previous TripsCBR: May 1999, CBR:October 2001 Disneyland: June 2002, CSR: October: 2003, POR: May 2005, POFQ: Dec-Jan 2005-2006, POFQ: May 2007, POR :Dec. 2007, Disneyland:May 2008, Mousefest: Dec. 2008 Disneyland: June 2009 AKL Savanna: Oct. 2009 December Gathering BLT: Dec. 2009 BLT Oct. 2010 Paradise Pier Aug. 2011 BLT Nov. 2011 Disneyland/California Adventure 2013 AKV May 2013
Old 10-19-2012, 05:19 PM   #13 (permalink)

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore Tattoo View Post
Yes, I was looking for a "like" button too!'
P.S. YES that's me front & center in Sandy's sig picture
Deb, you think Mike might let you out for another trip some time?

Navigating_Disney

Sandra Bostwick
Old 10-19-2012, 05:24 PM   #14 (permalink)

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

As long as it's in the budget I can do what ever I want

Merry
Eeyore Tattoo's Bio
Old 10-21-2012, 11:21 AM   #15 (permalink)
Community Rank: Globetrotter

Concierge Level: 7
Hi everyone, I'm MaryLou....I am recently retired and now full time caregiver to my DH. Jack has progressive MS and is now bedridden. He is unable to take care of himself....he needs to be fed, cleaned and bathed in bed. He stopped traveling about 5 years ago. While he was mobile and able to go to WDW, he used a wheelchair (I pushed) at first and then used a scooter so to be as independant as possible...he was still able to walk but with assistance. I was diagnosed with moderate to severe arthritis in my spine in my late 30s. I used a scooter on my last trip trip to WDW in 2011. I never thought that I would ever need one. We all had to make adjustments when traveling with Jack and now I find myself in the "same place". The arthritis has traveled into my hips and legs and now I shuffle when walking...no long strides anymore. I know that next trip (hopefully, next Sept......another "girls get-away) I cannnot use any "moving walkways" as I have that mobility issue and I really am going to miss those rides with that access. But, I will be at WDW and in my "happy place"...so I can make that adjustment.
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous Trips1996 Polynesian ( our 1st trip..25th anniversary..ours and WDW)_1997 Polynesian_1998 Grand Floridian_1999 Grand Floridian (became DVC members BWV)_2000 BoardWalk_ 2002 Polynesian_2004 BoardWalk (August & November)__2005 BoardWalk_2006 BoardWalk__2007 Old Key West (July) BoardWalk (November)_2008 Old Key West (Jaclyn and Brett..Engagement)_2009 Old Key West_2010 Animal Kingdom (Jaclyn & Brett...Honeymoon)_2011 BoardWalk_2012 Bay Lake Towers (Luke's 1st trip)_2013 Bay Lake Towers...2014 BoardWalk

Last edited by rella; 10-21-2012 at 12:29 PM..
rella is offline   Reply With Quote