PassPorter - A Community of Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel Forums

PassPorter - A Community of Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel Forums (http://www.passporterboards.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sharing the Adventure: Disney World Trip Reports (http://www.passporterboards.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Arkansas Family 7-Night Frist Blast in Disney (A Trip Report) (http://www.passporterboards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223415)

KMB733 06-16-2010 03:46 PM

Great updates!!

CinderAbby 06-16-2010 03:50 PM

For a first trip to Disney, I'm glad that you're really having a great time and going with the flow versus letting it trip you up.

mcc0313 06-16-2010 04:10 PM

Glad thae you enjoyed AK so much, we love that park and the theming is amazing. Great review of T-Rex, it definitely sounds very appealing, must try to fit that in one day soon.

HollyH 06-16-2010 04:54 PM

Glad to hear you liked the AK. It is (and has been) DS's favorite park since his first trip! You got to try 2 things at AK that I have been looking forward to -TH for lunch and the Nemo show. Good to know that you found both amazing -I'm getting my chance to do both in August. Looking forward to hearing more. Wonder if you'll ride Kali? :question:

jandsdennis 06-16-2010 05:26 PM

I am glad that you are having such a great time. sometimes people get so overwhelmed on their first visit but like you said you learned some good lessons in the first day or so.
Can't wait to hear more!

JoJayMom 06-16-2010 06:36 PM

So glad I found this TR!!! I love reading about people's first trip to Disney!!! Sounds like everything is going well... - Can't wait to hear more about your trip!!!

Colexis Mom 06-16-2010 06:53 PM

Glad you had a great time at AK! :D

Stephie1551 06-16-2010 07:26 PM

sounds like a wonderful day at animal kingdom...we will be eating at trex our first night in aug...glad to hear some good reviews

islandgirl 06-17-2010 07:17 AM

Great TR!!!! :D

MickeyMAC 06-17-2010 01:11 PM

Glad you enjoyed AK. Great trip report.

hhawkins 06-18-2010 11:06 AM

June 10, 2010 – Day 4 Animal Kingdom, Swimming at POFQ and DTD Date Night

So Wednesday morning we are again up and ready to leave about 9:15. I had not heard any movement in mom’s room so I assumed they were sleeping in as well. Peeked in, but they were gone. Guess they had already headed to DTD for the day. While Candi tried to get some food in the kids I went down to guest services at the front desk to see about adding to our ticket package. At this point, we were not planning to be in the parks today, so we had 5-day park passes. As it turned out, we were able to add a 6th day pass for only $3 per person. That is amazing. We were headed back to AK for the morning for less than $10 my whole family.

We caught the next bus and arrived at AK for a few hours. We had done the shows yesterday, so we wanted to do a couple new things. We headed first to get a FP to do the Safari again. While we were waiting for the FP we decided to go through the Pangani Forrest Trail. The Gorillas were the best part of the trail. They were active and the mails were even showing their dominance. Beating their chest and running right up to the glass. When we finished there was still a while before our FP. So we hoped the train to Rafiki’s Planet Watch. I had read several reviews that suggested RPW was not a great use of time. We really liked it. Rafiki was there with, Jiminy Cricket and Phocontas. The lines were short and we were able to get pictures with all of them in less than ½ hour. My 4 year old loved the exhibits.

We headed back for our Safari and then decided it was time for lunch. We still wanted to swim in the pool and then Candi and I had a date planned for DTD that evening. We were hungry and it is almost 1, so we hopped the next bus back to the resort and had lunch at the CS at POFQ.

After lunch I started washing clothes. Just for you information, there were at least 20 washers and dryers. It was $2 to wash and $2 to dry. It took 30 minutes for each cycle. I left them going while we went swimming.

We all went swimming for a while. The pool at POFQ is very nice. The pool itself is very big. Even with so many people there, it was not crowded. There is also a small children’s pool and a huge slide in the shape of a dragon. We played around long enough for the boys to get worn out. Then after a bath the boys were ready for a nap. Candi and I got ready and caught the next boat to DTD.

Mom and Sarah were going to watch the boys tonight and Candi and I had a date night. We had and 8:00 p.m. reservation at Raglan Road. We had a little time before dinner, so we did a little shopping in DTD.

I had read so much about Raglan Road. We got in right at our reservation time. We were really impressed at the restaurant. I have never been to Ireland, but the feel seemed authentic. Our waiter was good, but seemed to be stretched pretty thin. Our drinks almost always sat empty for several minutes. Often until we had to ask for refills. In 95 degree heat, the drinks were more important than the food when we arrived.

I ordered the mixed grill. It was a skewer of steak, lamb, chicken, sausage, block pudding and a tomato. It was served along mashed. Candi ordered the Bangers and Mash. It was two sausages on mashed potatoes and covered in a beef stew. Both meals were good, but nothing exceptional. Honestly, I wished I had ordered the Fish and Chips. Live and learn I guess.

We enjoyed the entertainment while we waited for dessert. The music was very good and we loved the dancers. This night there was a man and a woman. They did not dance together.

Dessert was the best part of the meal. Candi had a chocolate molten cake and I had the bread pudding. The waiter suggested I dump the budding onto the plate and pour both the sauces over it. It was so yummy. We did not finish all of either.

We had a good time on our date. We enjoyed RR, but it was not mind blowing as I expected. I think we would try Fulton’s next time.

I stopped at Goofey’s Candy Shop on the way out. Got a piece of fudge and chocolate covered marshmallow. We enjoyed it on the ride back to the resort. I just put my arms around my wife and we talked about how much fun we have had this week could not believe our trip is half over now.

OhToodles! 06-18-2010 12:06 PM

Sounds like a great day! And so nice that you had a date night together!

Colexis Mom 06-18-2010 12:52 PM

Another great day! :D

hhawkins 06-18-2010 01:49 PM

Hollywood Studions - Day 5

June 11, 2010 – Day 5 Hollywood Studios

Today would be our last new park to visit. Strangely enough, this was the first park we actually say close up. We walked passed it when we caught the water taxi to the Disney Boardwalk last Saturday night.

When we arrived, I was blown away. Disney does such and amazing job theming the parks. This place is awesome. From this board I knew I would need to get FP for Toy Story. I got everyone passed and raced off. I was happy I did. When I got to the ride it was about 9:45 a.m.. I got our and they were for 2L50 in the afternoon. They ran out just after I got our. I could not believe that our FP was for 5 hours later. That blew my mind. At that point the ride SB line was 50 minutes. I could not imagine this ride would be worth it.

I meet the rest of the family at The Little Mermaid show. We got right in with no wait. The show was the one I remembered from the cartoon, but that cut it from 2 hours to 17 minutes. My head was almost spinning when it was over. We went from Ariel’s fist song to the scene wher she got her legs and voice back in less than 5 minutes. I thought the show was to short. That tried to cut out too much. It was good, but to fast.

When we got out the line for Playhouse Disney. I am working when this show is on, so I did not know much about it. But my boys love it, and they loved this show. The puppets were really well done and there were scenes form Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, Handy Maney, Pooh, and Little Einstein’s. The only problem was seating. There was none. We had to sit on the floor. Not a fan!

As we were walking we came to the Great Movie Ride. The like was only 20 minutes, so we got in line. The ride was pretty good, but seemed a little dated for this park. Almost reminded me of It’s a Small World. Would like to see it updated. My son is a big fan of Wizard of Oz, so he really like that. Thought Alien was little scare for the kids. Let me just say that the “ham” acting by our tour guide was almost more than I could take. Bad! I guess it is supposed to be cheesy, but man it was bad.

By the time the show was over we were able to get another FP, so ran to Tower of Terror. At this point we split up my family went to see the Muppets 3-D, which was a lot of fun and my mom and sister went off shopping.

About 1:00 we decided to meet at the ABC Commissary. I know there are some bad reviews of this place, but we did not find anything wrong. I really liked the Fish and Chips. Were also had burgers and fried and a Chicken sandwich. I had them leave the blue cheese sauce off the chicken sandwich. Again, I loved the fries. The desserts were okay. They had a chocolate moose and a strawberry parfait.

The family split up again. Mom and Sarah love to shop. My family just did not want to spend the money. If we look we will buy, so we just don’t look. We head to Beauty and the Beast, but passed Start Tours on the way. Jaron threw a fit, but there was a 45 wait. So we kept walking. Next we passed Indiana Jones and we headed right into the next show.

Jaron was awful at this point. He is tied and we should have head back to POFQ, but we pushed through. He kept saying that he did not want to see this show. Although he was glued to it once it started. He never would admit he like it, but it was a very thrilling and cool show. Happy we got to see it. I have planned to pass it up.

Now it is finally time for Toy Story and the phone is ringing wondering where we are. We meet up and got inline. The FP cue was still about 15 minutes, but let me say the wait was so worth it. This ride is mind-blowing. I could not have imagined it was possible. I had 115,000 of my 1st and only time to ride it. My sister had the highest score at 145,000. I would loved to have gone again, but the stand-by line was 150 minutes. Hoped that it might get shorter and we would come back.

It was also now time for our FP on ToT. We headed over there. On Sunday Jaron was tall enough to ride Splash Mountain at MK and now he thinks that he should ride anything he is tall enough to ride. We tried to get him not to ride, but he insisted.

Mom stayed back with Clay and we got in line. In no time we were through the lobby and in the library. This is where Jaron, and me for that matter started getting a little anxious. There were a dozen teens that had obviously been on many times. We watched the movie and as soon as the lights went out they screamed. I could tell Jaron (4 yrs old) was shaken a little. Now we were in line for the elevators. We asked, but he still wanted to ride. I was almost hoping he would chicken out so I could go with him.

He has such an active imagination and kept asking what happened to the family in the video. I think that was as scary to him as the ride. We loaded in the elevator, belted in and started to climb. The doors opened to see the family get shocked once again, the teens screamed and the dropping started. We dropped 4 awful time before the misery was over. This was just to scary for me. I asked Jaron when we were safely off and enjoying an ice-cream if he wished he had not rode it. He said, “Daddy, I was tall enough, but I should not have gone on that ride.” I felt a little bad for letting his ride, but he insisted. I just kept asking myself, who is the parent here. Who should have known better.

We have now missed the last showing of Beauty and the Beast. We really wanted to see it, but I guess it is something for the next trip. We say the Broadway version at the Fox Theatre in St. Louis several year ago, so that would have to do us. We again split up. We went and rode Start Tours. Jaron and I together first, then I stayed with Clay and Candi went with him. There was almost no wait and we loved this ride. Heard they were going to redo it or something, but we liked it a lot.

While Candi and Jaron rode, I was going to take Clay and check out the Hone I Shrunk the Kids play yard. It was hot and packed, and I did not want to hang around. I went to try and get a FP for The back lot tour, but it in not a FP attraction.

I just found Candi, Clay, Mom and Sarah and we checked in at the Sci-Fi Drive In for our 6:00 p.m. ADR. We were seated quickly. The setting was pretty neat. We got a 3 row car and placed our drink order. I was a little surprised by the menu. I felt it was a little limiting in the choices. Between us we ordered two rib plate (pretty good), one steak (too dry, and ordered medium), and a Reuben (pretty good). The kids pizza was not good at all. I ordered a milk shake as my drink and it was excellent—cool and yummy! Really hit the spot. For dessert I had more ice-cream. I had a Sunday, we also ordered cheesecake and something else that was not memorable.

We had a good time watching the silly clips and the service was average, but I think I would try someplace else next time. Again, we were not disappointed with the meal, but thankful we were on the DDP and had prepaid for everthing.

Mom and sarah had had enough of the HS and headed back. We stayed hopping to do the back lot tour and then to Fantasmic. We went to the back lot only to discover that it already closed for the day. Mom, we really wanted to do this. Wish we had not missed it. Again, next trip. So we headed toward Toy Story in hope the lines were down. Now it was 180 minutes so we passed it up and went to the Narnia experience. This was okay, but not something I would want to do again.

We thought we would go get in line for Fantasmic. It is almost 8:40 and it started at 9:30. When we got to Sunset Blvd there was a man saying that it was already full. We did not want to stay until 10:30 as we had both boys with us and they were sleepy. We headed to the front gate. After a couple more PhotoPass shots we were headed to the bus.

Here we were surprised to find a huge line. My mom and sister who had left an hour before were still in line. We waited over an hour before a bus came. My wife found out on the ride from the driver that there had been an altercation between two drivers and all the drivers were meeting and buses were not running. Man, it was hot and did not seem like a good time for management to call a meeting.

Needless to say, the bus was packed and hot. We collapsed when we got back. Tonight we are all a little somber. It has hit us that tomorrow is Friday, our last park day. We would be leaving VERY early Saturday morning.

Only one day left.

chezp 06-18-2010 02:42 PM

More great days! :waytogo: It does seem amazing, the way that the enthusiasm for Toy Story Mania just doesn't seem to be dying down at all, even though it's been open for a couple of years now...