PassPorter - A Community of Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel Forums - View Single Post - Arkansas Family 7-Night Frist Blast in Disney (A Trip Report)
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2010, 10:15 AM   #2
hhawkins
Community Rank: Adventurer

Concierge Level: 1

Post Thanks / Like
LEAVING HOME

June 4, 2010 (Leaving Home)

This is a Friday and the day we will be leaving for of first ever trip to Walt Disney World in Florida. Everyone worked today and we will be leaving tonight after work.

I doubt any of us was very productive today. I only worked a couple hours in the morning then headed home to finish packing and loading the van. There would be 6 people only the trip in one van. Two would be in car seats so we knew it would be tight, but you do what you have to do.

We bought a new double stroller for the trip and a luggage bag for the top of the van. It was a challenge to get it up there, but had not other choices.

Once all the luggage and people were stuffed into the van we were off on our first big adventure. Now let be start with this. We live in NE Arkansas, but the cheapest plane tickets we found were out of St. Louis. So we were headed on a 4-5 hour trip to St. Louis. We would arrive at our hotel for the night at midnight. The Airport Ramada was not my ideal of a great room. The hotel was older, and the lobby was musty. However, the room had been remodeled and was okay. Besides, we would only be there for a couple hours. We would be leaving our van there for the week and scheduled a 5:30 a.m. hotel shuttle for the airport.

We were all so wired that we did not get much sleep that night. When we got downstairs for our shuttle we realized we were in trouble. There was a group of 20 scheduled at the same time. The hotel only had 1 mini van. Needless to say, we had our concerns. They called neighbor hotels for help and finally we got to the airport by 6:45. Out flight left at 7:45 and we were concerned.

It was all for nothing. We got through security fine and all was well. Found a bit to eat in the airport and boarded the flight.

Now, I realize that I have already made it into Day 2, but really the trip does not start until we get there, so I will go ahead and cover the flight out.

Our first flight from St. Louis to Atlanta went pretty smooth. The kids were a little restless, but so were we. None of us are experienced air travelers and all were anxious. My mom was the worst. She was so nervous and taken so much medication, she was loopy.

We arrived in Atlanta and had almost no time to rest. Our second leg was already loading when we arrived.

Since we had booked through CheapO’ Air we did not get to choose out seats and that made us anxious as well. However, out Atlanta to Orlando leg was a great surprise. We had been bumped to Business Class. Much nicer seat with lots of room and even better snacks.

The fight was over booked and AirTran was offering 2 round trip tickets anywhere they flew from someone who would wait for the next flight. I was tempted, but off we went.

Couple Diet Cokes and a bag of chips later we were landing in Orlando. This is where I will stop for now and pick up with the first day for our DISNEY TRIP. Yea!!!!

June 2014 Trip Report - 8 Days Without the Kiddos (15th Anniversary Trip)

Trip Repot - First Disney Trip Ever - June 2010
My Countdown Counting down to: Spring Break Break in Walt Disney World
We are having a blast!
My Previous TripsJune 2010, June 2014 (15th Anniversary Trip), June 2015

Last edited by hhawkins; 06-14-2010 at 12:38 PM..